Alternatives to Unicol for Projector Fixings?

mark_m

Are there other UK manufactures aside from UNICOL making decent Projector fixings for theatrical use?

I've had a recent very unsatisfactory experience with UNICOL. I fear their QA and customer service have deteriorated since I last used them and rather then arguing the toss with them I'd like to look elsewhere.

Specifically I'm looking for a fixture to enable a (rather ancient but still very good) Projection Design F30 SX+ projector to hang vertically, ie point straight downwards. It's a setup I've been using for a while but with a badly bodged up projector mount. Since we're about to do a multi-venue tour with this setup I thought it deserved to have something that I could just hang and point, rather then bridle up and adjust to get the perfect vertical above centre stage.

Thanks in anticipation

Mark

In my limited experience I've found commercial brackets for such a situation quite hit n miss.

The last time we needed one, which happened to be an Epson 1880, so a fairly small projector, we got a local company to simply fold a sheet of 2mm steel. We drilled holes for the standard threaded mounts in th 'bottom' of the projector such that the folded part is behind the projector, (above when hanging) then finding COG drilled hole for attaching to a hook clamp and another hole to pass safety wire through. This was about 10 years ago and the cost was £14 + VAT I don't recall what Unicol quoted but but the main reason we didn't go with them was their quoted weight at something like 4 times the weight of the projector.

I am not familiar with your unit but looking as the weight you will obviously require something better but it may just be a thicker steel plate.

Are there other UK manufactures aside from UNICOL making decent Projector fixings for theatrical use?

I've had a recent very unsatisfactory experience with UNICOL. I fear their QA and customer service have deteriorated since I last used them and rather then arguing the toss with them I'd like to look elsewhere.

Specifically I'm looking for a fixture to enable a (rather ancient but still very good) Projection Design F30 SX+ projector to hang vertically, ie point straight downwards. It's a setup I've been using for a while but with a badly bodged up projector mount. Since we're about to do a multi-venue tour with this setup I thought it deserved to have something that I could just hang and point, rather then bridle up and adjust to get the perfect vertical above centre stage.

Thanks in anticipation

Mark

A proper cage offers fine adjustment, multiple rigging options, and a much better setup than a simple mounting plate.

Along hopefully with certification,so if it was to fail you've got your backside covered.

Fair comments.

The bulk of my projector experience is in installation where to be honest most of the cages and to some extent Unicol brackets are a PITA and frequently not accepted by the customer on asthetic reasons. Quite often it's easier to mount the projector than the increased bulk of the commercial frames and brackets. We used to request drawings from the likes of Unicol then pick and chose parts to suit our situation. Many of their projector brackets consisted of a plate drilled to suit the mounting holes with the sides folded up and a matching piece with the sides folded down and the obligatory tube socket facing up. The folded up and down sides are fixed together with a bolt to form a hinge. we started asking for just those 2 parts but without the tube socket so often they started offering it as a standard part.

A proper cage offers fine adjustment, multiple rigging options, and a much better setup than a simple mounting plate.

Along hopefully with certification,so if it was to fail you've got your backside covered.

To be honest, your backside is covered anyway providing you can demonstrate that a custom engineered solution was fit for purpose. (And if you can't prove it's fit for purpose, then how did you know it was? And if you didn't know... well, you deserve for your backside to not be covered!!!)

CE marking is of course the easy way of demonstrating conformity but there is nothing to stop you buying the relevant standard(s) and ensuring your own solution conforms.

Edited by dje

Well worth the investment!

And is a PITA when it comes to changing the lamp as cages are often designed without thought of access!

We use TopTec for our installs, mainly because of the security features they have. I'm sure if they don't have what you want they'll design it for you.

Less of an issue now most projectors are laser based, but a valid point. I'd happily take the (small) hit for maintenance vs the massive flexibility boost and tour-proofing on a non-installed unit though.

To me at least - plates are great for installs, cages are great for touring/flexible setups.