12-16 channel mixer

SceneMaster

You could but the preamps on the notepad aren't very quiet.

If you are shouting down the mics along with music there should not be a problem.

If you are looking to use the mics for drama the hiss will become noticeable.

IIRC the stereo inputs on the SX that have Jack inputs will default to mono if you use the left input only. This would still leave you with the phono in stereo inputs for CD players etc, although these have pots for level not faders and the pots are hidden above the trim for the jack input stereo channels, and the phono ins have no EQ or trim, just level.

My main issue is if we want to use radio mics this may be a little more tricky. Would I be able to put these into the stereo channels (thinking with the Sprit SX in mind)?

Yes, perfectly possible, providing that the recievers have a line level 1/4" jack output. Then you can just run a guitar cable (or a TRS cable if the inputs/outputs are balanced) into the left/mono socket on a stereo channel. However, on some mixers, the stereo channels have less EQ capabilites so bear this in mind.

I have had a better idea though, not that I like it, I could in budget buy a Folio Notepad as well, and put our radio mics into it then feed the output onto one of the stereo channels, I presume this would work? Ok it is going to be a pain to operate but if it is just for the radio mics I don’t suppose it would be too hard.

Yep, that's fine, and would probably be my solution of choice. Or you could submix drums, or guitars or something... it in effect could give you two seperate submixes, by panning the channel hard left or hard right. So you could mix guitars to one side, and bass to another, for example.

Depends on your setup.

You could but the preamps on the notepad aren't very quiet.

If you are shouting down the mics along with music there should not be a problem.

If you are looking to use the mics for drama the hiss will become noticeable.

How noisy is it? If it is used for radio mics this will be a problem as we can’t really have a load of hiss but I would half though it wouldn’t be that bad? What are other peoples views on the Folio Notepad?

Yep, that's fine, and would probably be my solution of choice. Or you could submix drums, or guitars or something... it in effect could give you two seperate submixes, by panning the channel hard left or hard right. So you could mix guitars to one side, and bass to another, for example.

Depends on your setup.

Good idea. I could put say the drums and the bass onto the mixer pan on to right and one to left then feed them into two of the stereo channels (as it has 4 sets of them leaving me room for CD player ect) then I wouldn’t need to touch the notepad much during operation as I would have the control of the actual levels would be on the main desk.

I think that my final solution will be to get an SX and Notepad does anyone have anything hugely against these desks? I presume the SX’s preamps are good?

Edit: Removed excess spacing lines...

The SX pre-amps are more than quiet enough, the notepad pre-amps are quiet enough for most situations but if you have to crank the gain up for low output sources or quiet singers then the hiss becomes noticeable IMO.

The SX pre-amps are more than quiet enough, the notepad pre-amps are quiet enough for most situations but if you have to crank the gain up for low output sources or quiet singers then the hiss becomes noticeable IMO.

Ok I shouldn't have to crank the gain up too much for the radio mics or the drum mics. But if it is ok/good anyway it shouldn’t bee too much of a problem, the high gain is likely to be needed the wired vocal mics and this will be run off the main desk (SX). I presume with the 4 stereo inputs on the SX two of the stereo inputs are on faders and two on pots?

Thanks,

Yep, two stereos are on faders with trim, eq, aux send and bussing controls.

The other two are on pots hidden up above the fader channels. The only controls for these channels are level and a sub/mix bussing control.

[edit]

look here and here for more info

Just to throw in one noones mentioned for some reason...

On that kind of budget, you should easily be able to pick up a Mackie 1604VLZ Pro second hand. They're probably second best after an A&H Mixwizard 16:2, which is a little out of your budget (although if you look around eBay etc you might find one within your price limit). The Mackie is a good solid desk, 16 mic channels, very easy to use, and has 4 subgroups unlike the A&H. Also, as Mackie have just released a new line of mid-level desks, the VLZ's will be going pretty cheap. There are quite a few in people's home studios that get replaced with digital kit, so they appear on ebay sometimes. For your purposes, it's a decent desk (although it lacks effects/EQ). I agree with Mr Pearce on this one:

Have a look at the mackies if you need something quality but low cost.

The SX just feels a bit plastic-y compared to the mackie.

Spirit FX16 is also a good choice, as is the Yamaha. My experience on small-format consoles is limited to those 3 (Soundcraft, Yamaha and Mackie) but I'd say they're all good desks. I've also looked at Peavey RQ14s-18s before; never tried one but on paper they look alright and people who've used them say they're decent aswell. They're also nicely priced.

Final thing: before you buy a desk, go get a feel for it. I personally was put off the Soundcraft M series because you can flick the faders from bottom to top with no effort. I like a bit of resistance ;)

On that kind of budget, you should easily be able to pick up a Mackie 1604VLZ Pro second hand.  ...(snip)....The Mackie is a good solid desk, 16 mic channels, very easy to use, and has 4 subgroups unlike the A&H.

I quite like the Mackie as well - I borrowed a 1604 last week because I was doing an event and was short of a few inputs on my own Mackie (a CFX-12, which has 8 mic channels). The bigger versions of the CFX might also be worth a look - the CFX20 has (IIRC) 16 mic channels and 2 stereo line. The CFX has built-in FX.

One thing I don't like about the CFX is the routing - you MUST route each channel to either 1/2 and/or 3/4, then route these to main outs. On the 1604 you've got more flexibility - can route to groups, or direct to main outs.

And I don't like the outputs on the 1604 - the back panel is crowded, and main outs are on balanced jacks rather than XLR. A great pity - means you have to carry some additional adaptors. The CFX doesn't have this problem.

One other thing - the 1604 which I borrowed ran surprisingly hot. Don't know whether this is a generic problem, or just that particular unit.

Bruce.

I agree with the crowded outputs, but it's hardly a deal-buster. Considering you are getting a full 16ch for a reasonable price, it's not that bad. I believe they all run hot; according to the manual they can be left running overnight but obviously with any mixer good ventilation is sensible ;)

One other thing - the 1604 which I borrowed ran surprisingly hot. Don't know whether this is a generic problem, or just that particular unit.

I think it's a generic Mackie problem. The 1604 I used a couple of weeks ago was pretty warm, after only a couple hours use. Also, I'm pretty sure that there's been a discussion in the last week or so on the Stagecraft list, regarding Mackie's getting hot.

David

Hi,

I have been told that I may be able to get the budget for an Allen and Heath PA20. Now obviously it is more expensive than the SX and is had 16 channels but disregarding this is it a good desk personally I would rather get the better desk with less channels than the worse desk with more. Being Allen and Heath I would have personally though it to be great but is their greatness (if that is a word) limited to there big desks or does it extent to there smaller desks. A mix wizard is out of the question but the PA20 does look like a well rounded desk.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Edit: To take grammar mistake out ;)

Hi,

I have been told that I may be able to get the budget for an Allen and Heath PA20. Now obviously it is more expensive than the SX and is had 16 channels but disregarding this is it a good desk personally I would rather get the better desk with less channels than the worse desk with more. Being Allen and Heath I would have personally though it to be great but are there greatness (if that is a word) limited to there big desks or does it extent to there smaller desks. A mix wizard is out of the question but the PA20 does look like a well rounded desk.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

<pedant>is their greatness, not are there greatness. :( ;) (sorry... pet hate :))</pedant>

And to my knowledge, it is across the board (pardon the pun)- the smaller A&H desks are as good as the big ones. I think that if you went for the PA20, you'd be very happy with the board- the demo I got left me pretty impressed with it.

<snip>

CFX20 has (IIRC) 16 mic channels and 2 stereo line. The CFX has built-in FX.

<snip>

Yep, the CFX-20 does have 16mic & 2 stereo lines (We've got one in school). It's also got both XLR and TRS mix outs. There's also an XLR Sub out.

There's also the CFX-16: 12mic 2 stereos.

HTH

Archived