Mackie SRM450 Correct Running Level

Alicefan1

Hello,I play drums in a rock band mainly playing pubs and clubs , we recently acquired a sound guy (An ex DJ) My problem is I keep arguing with him that he`s running all the speakers on too low of a volume (quarter to)

causing horrendous noises coming from the PA while we play .So I`m looking for advice on what the speakers should be set at (I say at least 12 O`clock) the speakers are Mackie SRM450`s .We usually run at least one sub with them

which he does the same with. Any advice/help appreciated. Thanks

That does sound very low - I'd normally start with speakers like that by putting the volume at full and then backing it off if you need to balance the level with the sub. Then it's possible (but unlikely) that might lower the sub and top level if the desk faders are all really low for the the volumes you want to play it.

Is it possible that the sub isn't powerful enough and he is trying the balance the system to the point where you have a quiet PA?

You don't specify your "horrendous noise", but it sounds like the level going into the mackies is (much) too high (I would expect to run them at between 2/3 & 3/4 level). It may also be that the mic pre-amps are set too high, so the signals are clipped & distorted even before they get to the mixer faders.

Mackie 450s have an unhelpful level control. 12 o'clock is maximum line level input (unity gain), and beyond that they start acting as a mic preamp and applying extra gain. So whilst you can plug an SM58 straight into the back for simple speech-only applications, you don't want to go beyond 12 o'clock if you're taking a feed from a mixing desk.

There's a bit of an art to "gain structure", making sure that each part of the audio chain is running at an appropriate level. Sounds like your ex-DJ friend hasn't quite got the knack yet.

What Stuart said. It sounds as if he has the gains too high at the desk and is compensating at the speakers. It is a typically DJ fault, turning what he controls full up and swamping the PA. Bands do it too so not just DJ's. Do him (and you) a favour and find a soundman who can mentor him and perhaps show him how to set this system up.

I am long retired and haven't been there for a while but whenever I fell over in The Uplands Tav I don't think I ever hit the floor before I bounced off a sound man.

Thanks all for the feedback .Kerry Davies this is still true (I am long retired and haven't been there for a while but whenever I fell over in The Uplands Tav I don't think I ever hit the floor before I bounced off a sound man.) in most venues down here. Hope you`re enjoying your retirement, if your ever

come back to Swansea you can mentor our guy