Inline Comms Headset Mic Switch

IRW

Hi folks,I'd like to make a footswitch that allows me to open my cans mic for when both of my hands are busy tapping away at a console- I've got a basic push-to-make foot switch, but when I tried to do this in a quick and dirty way before (i.e. just put the switch in line with the mic wire), I remember that it didn't work very well, but I can't remember exactly why (it was a while ago now I last tried this!). I assume that I need to throw a capacitor or something into the mix maybe?

For ease of use, I'd prefer to keep it on the headset side of the cans pack (so with a 4-pin XLR in and out to go between headset and cans pack) in such a way that I'd just have to leave the actual mic button on the cans pack in it's 'on' position.

Thanks,

Ian

I expect you’ll want the switch to short out the mic, rather than leave the preamp open circuit. You may need to debounce the switch to prevent pops, and add DC blocking in case of use on packs that provide bias current for electrolytic mics (shorting out the bias current is unlikely to end well).

I expect you'll want the switch to short out the mic, rather than leave the preamp open circuit. You may need to debounce the switch to prevent pops, and add DC blocking in case of use on packs that provide bias current for electrolytic mics (shorting out the bias current is unlikely to end well).

I errr, see...blink.gif...Haha! I do vaguely understand what you are saying, but hopefully someone will be along to convert what you said into a circuit diagram, which I will properly understand!

something like this

zddP7.png

Aha! Thanks! With regards to a BP111 (or, if you wish to feel dirty, a BP511), the pinout is: Pin 1: Mic Earth/Screen

Pin 2: Mic Signal

Pin 3: Earphones Earth/Screen

Pin 4: Earphones Signal

Assuming the bit in the middle of your drawing is a jack connector, would the tip be the equivalent of canford pin 1 or pin 2?

Edited by IRW