American wiring

xllx

I've been asked to put a plug on an American photographic/film light. The 110v lamp is being replaced with a 220v LED in the original holder.

Do I need to worry that the flex is in American wiring colours? It's Black/White/Green, now I know black is live, white is neutral and green is earth, and the inline switch on the cable is rated to 250V so can I just stick a UK plug on it and call it done?

no harm in putting a bit of blue and brown on the inner cores to avoid any future confusion,and if its an ES lamp holder best double check the center contact is the live and outer threaded bit neutral. Edited by themadhippy

If the appliance is to be sold, then I believe that the flex should be replaced by one that is CE marked in and in UK colours.

If however it is for your own use, or friends and family, then the original flex should be fine.

Sleeving the conductors at the plug end and verifying polarity at any E27 lamp holder would be good practice as already suggested.

If the light was intended for a high wattage halogen bulb, and has previously been used thus, then it might be prudent to check for any heat damage at the lamp holder end of the flex.

Ideally you should check that the flex is rated for 240 volts, but in practice almost all "mains" flex is rated at 300 volts, or 500 volts, or at 300/500 volts, even in 120 volt countries.

The only other caveat to consider is will 120 volt operation be required in the future ? or is the change to 240 volts to be permanent ? If you need to change it back to 120 volts then you probably can not put the original plug back as they are commonly moulded on. For a reversible change, either remove the original flex complete with moulded on 120 volt plug and store this for re-use, or obtain a new USA mains cord with moulded on 3 pin 120 volt plug. (these sometimes come packed with IT equipment)

If the appliance is to be sold, then I believe that the flex should be replaced by one that is CE marked in and in UK colours.

This is the crux of my question really, is there a legal requirement to change the cable?

I'm fine with the details of inspecting the unit for damage and polarity etc (it's a B15d small bayonet as it happens) and putting an American plug back on if I have to.

My understanding is that appliances FOR SALE must have a flex in the new UK colours. I think that there might be an exemption that permits of old UK colours on vintage equipment, but the American colours never were approved in the UK.

Enforcement is patchy, there is loads of imported tat with non standard colour codes for sale on line.

Polarity is not required with B15D lamp holders.

If you sold the lamp with a non approved flex, then I doubt that anyone would notice or care, but that does not make it strictly correct.

UK type mains leads are effectively free if you only need a short one, think of all those IEC leads that come with IT stuff. Test even a new lead before re-use, beware of fakes.

Is the cable double insulated? A few times I've seen North American appliances where the flexible cable has only a single layer of insulation over the cores. This type of cable must be replaced because even with minor damage the cores can become exposed and dangerous. A mains flex must be double insulated. The outer sheath colour must be different from the inner core colours so that damage is noticeably obvious before someone gets hurt.

You're probably safe with it, but others? I sold a radio two weeks ago to a guy who said he wanted to get rid of the nasty European 2 pin plug and fit a 13A on the two core cable. which one was the live? He was going to cut off the switch mode power supply and put the 13A plug on the DC cable. I think if it was going to somebody else, I'd not like to send it out with the US wiring colours, but send it out with decent colour coded UK type cable, just in case in the future somebody needed to put a new plug on and wired it the wrong way. People can be thick - and there is always the chance that not doing it now could hurt somebody in five years time and who would they come after?

The outer sheath colour must be different from the inner core colours

ok ive yet to see green and yellow striped flex but im sure im not the only to have seen artic blue flex and brown decorative flex and I dont recall any rules preventing them.If we was to follow the colour coding for electrical services surely the only colour allowed would be orange

You're probably safe with it, but others? I sold a radio two weeks ago to a guy who said he wanted to get rid of the nasty European 2 pin plug and fit a 13A on the two core cable. which one was the live? He was going to cut off the switch mode power supply and put the 13A plug on the DC cable. I think if it was going to somebody else, I'd not like to send it out with the US wiring colours, but send it out with decent colour coded UK type cable, just in case in the future somebody needed to put a new plug on and wired it the wrong way. People can be thick - and there is always the chance that not doing it now could hurt somebody in five years time and who would they come after?

I was in a music shop a few weeks back, actually those few weeks were more like 30 years, a lady purchased an electric guitar for a Christmas present, the sales guy asked if she wished to also purchase a lead.

She chose one in yellow, purple and pink."Oh can you change the plug for me?"

"I can and we also sell apapters, but what sort of plug do you require?"

"We have that type." Says the lady pionting to a 13A plug.blink.gif

Edited by sunray

I agree. The risk is low, but Iwould be uneasy selling it without a UK colour code flex "just in cases"

Most people would realise that green was earth, and the other two dont in fact much matter in this particuar case, but if someone connected green to live, and if a life was lost, you might be held liable.

......Oh can you change the plug for me?"

"I can and we also sell apapters, but what sort of plug do you require?"

"We have that type." Says the lady pionting to a 13A plug.blink.gif

When I worked in a music shop (>30 years ago) we had a guy bring a new guitar back complaining that a) it didn't seem to make any noise, and b) he'd got a shock from it. "Have I wired this up right, as there were no instuctions?"

He'd changed the jack on a guitar lead for a 13A plug himself - I guess he was probably lucky really as he'd picked E & N.......