Video Projection - Options for a newbie...??

Uriahdemon

Hi,

I am a lampy with my own rig but am looking to also introduce imagery/video.

I was wondering what options are available for touring and events. Mainly I would be looking for portability, easy set up and use, size adaptable, quality of images/video projected and of course keeping the cost down as much as possible.

As always thanks very much in advance for your help on this.

Edited by Uriahdemon

What sort of scale of events do you work on? If for gigs you want to supplement a floor package (or even flown) rig you already have you could get some panels of video wall and dangle/rig them around the space, as squares, strips or any other shape... or you could get some lighting units which have multi cells which you can map from your desk/media server. Do you have anything in mind particularly? Do you just want patterns and shapes, or what you might call 'proper' video content?

Let us know the sort of rig you have already (along with your control surface/setup) and perhaps we can use that as a springboard for ideas. Can you link to any pics/videos online that have inspired you to ask the question?

What sort of scale of events do you work on? If for gigs you want to supplement a floor package (or even flown) rig you already have you could get some panels of video wall and dangle/rig them around the space, as squares, strips or any other shape... or you could get some lighting units which have multi cells which you can map from your desk/media server. Do you have anything in mind particularly? Do you just want patterns and shapes, or what you might call 'proper' video content?

Let us know the sort of rig you have already (along with your control surface/setup) and perhaps we can use that as a springboard for ideas. Can you link to any pics/videos online that have inspired you to ask the question?

Hi, thanks for the info and the ideas. The events can be small theatres (200 capacity) to larger festivals (2000). They are mostly bands . I like the idea of something to supplement the floor package. Just some eye candy to provide something a little different. If at all possible also projecting video of moving images. The idea came from some work I did with a Genesis tribute band who toured with a screen and projector. I have included a couple of links below which will give you an idea of what I was up to with them but it does not have to be exactly the same.

Control surface is a Zero88 FLX with a couple of wings, various truss setups (flexible), Led movers, Pars, lasers, blinders etc. Patterns and shapes would be good and image projection a bonus.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tc5pcwnrhmu1339/DSC_1237.JPG?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/3biuj5farllznsm/DSC_2412.JPG?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9znqk3oii1932r/IMG_0229.JPG?dl=0

More than half the battle with image projection is the sourcing of that imagery. We used to spend days editing dozens of hours of recordings down to half hour loops of imagery and we weren't making them a focal point of a whole show.

But once you have that sorted then my first thought would be to talk to AV companies about hiring until you know exactly what you need. I don't know but I am guessing that there will be deals out there and once you have found your ideal set-up they may well be happy to sell it you second hand.

Be aware that to do it properly you probably need a dedicated vid mixer and things can get labour intensive very quickly indeed. To do a 500-1000 head two room club night with live bands and performers could easily take up half a dozen guys creating an environment. We regularly had four plus a vidiot.

More than half the battle with image projection is the sourcing of that imagery. We used to spend days editing dozens of hours of recordings down to half hour loops of imagery and we weren't making them a focal point of a whole show.

But once you have that sorted then my first thought would be to talk to AV companies about hiring until you know exactly what you need. I don't know but I am guessing that there will be deals out there and once you have found your ideal set-up they may well be happy to sell it you second hand.

Be aware that to do it properly you probably need a dedicated vid mixer and things can get labour intensive very quickly indeed. To do a 500-1000 head two room club night with live bands and performers could easily take up half a dozen guys creating an environment. We regularly had four plus a vidiot.

Thanks Kerry, I get the sourcing of the imagery problem loud and clear but that will be another hurdle further down the track.

For now I need to steer clear of high labour numbers hence looking for advice on options that will be reasonably effective. Once the package is together, easy to set up and I gain knowledge from it I will look at bigger and better.

I will have a look at AV companies hire packages as you suggested.

Thanks again for your help.