8-way spanner in Aldi

pritch

I was in my local Aldi earlier and noticed these eight-way spanners. Seems to be a combination of a quad spanner and the peculiar spring-loaded head from the Dirty Rigger podgers.

I didn't pick one up but had a quick fondle - seemed reasonably well made but no idea how it would hold up in use.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/8-in-1-multi-wrench/p/099676348946500

They're out of stock online, but are in the middle aisle in some stores.

I looked at these when they had them before, I'd have loved to have a fondle to see how the 2 per side thing worked, but the packaging was a sealed bubble.

I was in my local Aldi earlier and noticed these eight-way spanners. Seems to be a combination of a quad spanner and the peculiar spring-loaded head from the Dirty Rigger podgers.

I didn't pick one up but had a quick fondle - seemed reasonably well made but no idea how it would hold up in use.

https://www.aldi.co....099676348946500

They're out of stock online, but are in the middle aisle in some stores.

I bought a few similar models when Aldi were doing them, must be 3 or 4 years ago. I don't think they've broken yet, so that's probably a good sign.

The drawback with all these designs is that they're a bit bulky to use in confined spaces, especially the smaller sized sockets. But if they're cheap enough then it's not a bad buy to have in the toolkit, it'll probably help you get out of trouble one day.

Bought one when shopping late yesterday. Only one end is 'packaged' so you can see and feel the construction. It seems quite robust, but not had a chance to try it out yet. I bought it for our motorhome as space an weight are very restricted.

They've changed the packaging then, thats good to hear thanks.

I'll have a look.

Bought one when shopping late yesterday. Only one end is 'packaged' so you can see and feel the construction. It seems quite robust, but not had a chance to try it out yet. I bought it for our motorhome as space an weight are very restricted.

They've changed the packaging then, thats good to hear thanks.

I'll have a look.

I went for a 2 mile walk to my local Aldi and found the item. Indeed it is not the same product I saw before [may have been Lidl].

By total fluke I had an M6 bolt in my coat pocket, my first impression was how nice and snuggly it fitted in the socket, however customer saw me fiddling and offered advice:

Being a bit too snug he demonstrated it neededmore force than the spring offered and hardly engaged with the socket as the socket pushed in before all all of the head was inside the outer socket [ie if the bolt is already in use and tightened against something it's only the head that can go in]. However his bigger complaint was with bigger sizes the smaller socket is constanly pushiing against the bolt and an amount of pressure is constantly required to keep it on.

My impression of the tool was it fellt good, pleasantly heavy and well built, I was right on the cusp of buying one but he put me right off.

In the same way that a Leatherman is, by definition, "the wrong tool for every job", these multi spanners are a compromise.

Your fellow shopper made a good point about the springiness, I remember that now. It's not a deal-breaker, as long as you're only using it occasionally. Keep it in the toolkit as a "get out of jail" card. Don't have it as your first choice if you have 400 bolts needing tightened some day.

Have mine a go in the garage on an assortment of bolts. Did everything I asked of it. However, for serious stuff I would still get the socket set and pukka ring spanner. Horses for courses, and at a tenner, worth carrying I think.

The ratchet seemed as positive as my ratchet socket which frankly surprised me. Expected it to feel a bit frail in use.

Have mine a go in the garage on an assortment of bolts. Did everything I asked of it. However, for serious stuff I would still get the socket set and pukka ring spanner. Horses for courses, and at a tenner, worth carrying I think.

The ratchet seemed as positive as my ratchet socket which frankly surprised me. Expected it to feel a bit frail in use.

Yes the feel of the whole thing is very good as far as one can test in a shop by hand.

I'm thinking about rigging sort of work where all sorts are encountered, I used to have a 4 way ratchet ring spanner which was incredibly good for the job but of course like so many good tools - they behave like caged animals and escape from the tool kit.

In the same way that a Leatherman is, by definition, "the wrong tool for every job", these multi spanners are a compromise.

Your fellow shopper made a good point about the springiness, I remember that now. It's not a deal-breaker, as long as you're only using it occasionally. Keep it in the toolkit as a "get out of jail" card. Don't have it as your first choice if you have 400 bolts needing tightened some day.

It's funny but I've never carried a leatherman, I have [or possibly 'had'] two of them somewhere, I suspect cheaper versions but if I'm honest I see people struggling to use them and on the rare ocassions I've used one I've never thought I needed to carry.

The 'problems' described would have never crossed my mind but both points make sense. The other thing that crossed my mind is the bulk and getting it into things like hook clamps.

I'm not knocking the product, I was just about to get one when the other guy turned up, I can actually see it being a useful tool.

We have these - they're great in theory but they actually get almost not use because of how bulky they are

Yes I did wonder.

I have a small ratchet handle with 1/4" square male one side and 1/4" hex female the other, probably from the same source. It's 2 flat plate construction [like ratchet ring spanners] and only about 100mm long and very handy but with the 2 opposing fittings it is quite bulky [for a 1/4" tool].