Cable tester

Stuart91

I've got a large quantity of signal cabling that needs gone through, mainly 3 and 5 pin XLR cabling, but a fair amount of jacks and NL2 as well.

At the moment I'm using something similar to this as a basic tester.

The drawback is that it's a little time consuming. Typically I'm turning the switch to pin 1, giving the ends a wiggle, then moving onto pin 2, then 3, etc.

I figure if I buy a tester that gives indication of all 3 (or more) pins simultaneously, I'm going to save a fair bit of time. Over several hundred cables, that's going to add up enough to justify a few quid on a new tester.

I've had a look around but can't see anything with these exact capabilities. A Rat Sniffer is an obvious option, but only does 3-pin XLR. It's occurred to me that I could build a project box with the other connector options on it. Wouldn't mind spending the money on something a little more elegant though.

I vaguely remember someone exhibiting at Plasa with some models that looked a bit better, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. Does anyone have any options that they could suggest?

https://www.cablejog.co.uk make quality kit, a little pricey but buy once cry once.

They're the ones I saw at Plasa - I remember it now I see them. Thanks for turning it up.

From what I can see from the manual, it looks like you can store a cable configuration and do a quick test against it. That seems quite good, although I'm worried about intermittent connections - that's why I like waggling the cable whilst it's being tested. Not sure if any Cablejog products will let me do the same thing.

The dirt cheap Behringer CT100 shows intermittent connections.

Yes, every time you plug or unplug a connector!! It annoys me having to reset it every time, & I have great trouble sorting out which combination of red LEDs means a good unbalanced lead rather than a bad one mad.gif. I usually use one similar to Stuart's photo, but for XLR-3s it's hard to beat the old Neutrik K-Check (basically an XLR-F barrel with a probe at the other end & 4 LEDs). Mine must be at least 40 years old, & still working on its original (mercury) battery. Bought from the original Turnkey shop in Finchley.

Another +1 for the Behringer Ct100. Dirt cheap. and for XLR, it’s “plug in, press the button, look for a diagonal line of LEDs, wiggle the cables, make sure nothing has changed”.

Very quick and simple for XLR-XLR and XLR-TRS

Takes a little more thought if you’re testing something like XLR to TS, but not rocket science.

On the other hand, I don’t like the “updated” CT200, which has speakon and RJ45 as well, but is a pain to use.

As above, grab a Berry CT100, and adaptors for 1 pair XLR5. Yes you have to press a button every time you've plugged in a new cable but given the price and its simplicity yet the very useful intermittency feature I don't think you can go wrong. I use something similar to the OP for NL4s

As above, grab a Berry CT100, and adaptors for 1 pair XLR5.

I've got a CT100 on order. (I think I share Bruce's assessment of the CT200)

It occurs to me that I can probably jump from the CT100 to my existing tester (maybe using a pair of minijack leads) so that I can use all of the connectors on it with the CT100. I'll see how that goes before embarking on any further bodgery.

I had 2x CT100.

One lived on my workbench. Doubled up as a cable tester and a soldering station - with the upward-facing XLR and jack sockets, it was a handy way to hold connectors when making cables. But it died - a battery leaked inside.

And one lived in my gig bag. It got - ummm - misplaced.

Was going to buy another, but decided to buy a 200, since it appeared, on paper, to have more flexibility. Mistake.

Used a CT100 for many years on the broadcast circuit for Premier league footie and all sorts of OB's inc London 2012 and Sochi 2014 and whilst it was a good low cost cable tester it was used more as a tone ident source with a unique square wave type tone. Edited by GaryNattrass

Useful info about the CT200. I'd looked briefly at it and thought it looked a bit faffy.

Essential upgrade to the CT100 is a piece of tape over the on/off switch so when you do take it out of your case to use it the battery isn't flat.

Cheers,

Peter

A quick update - that's me about 150 cables in with the CT100. It's definitely quicker than the model we were using previously.

I agree with Sandall that it's a little irritating having to reset the Intermittent Connection indicators every time, but once you get into a routine it's not too bad - only needs pressed once each cycle.

Ergonomically, I much prefer having the XLR sockets on the top rather than around the sides.

I managed to get the CT100 hooked up to my original tester, as I suspected you can just link any pairs of sockets together. This means I can essentially use the original tester as adaptors into the CT100, but it's a little clumsy in practice. I might make up a project box that has just the connectors I need facing up, in the meantime I've been doing 5-pin DMX with just a couple of jumper adaptors and that's been fine.