RG59/6 - Installation

The JC

Hi everyone,

I’m currently putting in some new cable infrastructure for a small local theatre and am wondering which coax cable is best to run the Facility Panels’ video ports. RG59 seems to be very popular but RG6 keeps popping up too. I know they have different uses so the question is - Which do I use?

There is a WIDE range of cables that fall under the RG6 category. I would be looking at something that can carry at least 3G SDI (supports 1080p60) - ie Belden 1694A can do that about 90m , 1694F will get you just over 100m. 1794A will get you 6G SDI to just over 100m and 3g over 200m - so depending on venue cable paths 1794A might be the better option if you are nearing 100m a run in the wall.

RG6 is more of a size class than a specific performance spec, but each of the major manufacturers have an RG6 class cable.

Proper labelling and quality termination is hugely important. 9 out of ten times, when I rig a venue, it's easier to pull our own in that deal with and troubleshoot the unknown installed stuff, even if it runs to and from the perfect spots!

If you can, pull some Single Mode fibre in. The cable and the termination is cheap, the kit on the ends is more expensive, but you do gain future proofing. Getting 4k long distances over coax is a real pain.

Network infrastructure thought about too?

Edited by abbotsmike

There is a WIDE range of cables that fall under the RG6 category. I would be looking at something that can carry at least 3G SDI (supports 1080p60) - ie Belden 1694A can do that about 90m , 1694F will get you just over 100m. 1794A will get you 6G SDI to just over 100m and 3g over 200m - so depending on venue cable paths 1794A might be the better option if you are nearing 100m a run in the wall.

Agreed. Generally we specify 1694a as the "default choice" for SDI, unless we have reason to think we need something else.

Although, TBH, we don't spec a lot of SDI-based systems anymore. Cat6 is dirt cheap, and unterminated fibre for future proofing.

RG6 is more of a size class than a specific performance spec, but each of the major manufacturers have an RG6 class cable.

Sadly it is very wrong but you are absolutely correct.

The descriptor 'RG6' should be definitive and seeing that written anywhere should be a precise statement of exactly what's installed.

However these days is seems to be just an indication of the size of the cable.

Of couse none of these are actually RG6, they are specific cable made by a manufacturer which happen to be the same size or close enough.