Taking vehicles and equipment in and out of Northern Ireland

paulears

I'm getting very confused. I'm VAT registered and have a GB EORI - but have just realised I now need an XI EORI to go between England and Northern Ireland. I've got myself completely confused - has anyone done this and got sorted - the forms seem very confusing, and I've gone round in circles!

Why for you have problems when the PM promised that you could ring him up and throw the forms in the bin?

You might want to register with theTrader Support Service though Asda, Sainsbury and Tesco are having trucks turned back despite them supposedly having 3 and 6 months "grace periods" on foods. If they are having empty shelves then I doubt that you will be luckier. I presume you are not re-exporting goods or sub-assemblies of goods sourced originally in the EU? That brings in rules of origin. I also hope you have sorted out your UKNI marks rather than UKCA or CE marks?

Personally I find it all hilarious since I not only voted Remain and warned about NI and the GFA from the beginning but I had already retired. Yesterday morning a guy published a list of companies in the UK and abroad that no longer would trade across the divide. It was 140 firms long. This evening it is 206 and still growing.

Leave.EU has Left.UK and 80,000 other .EU domain names based in the UK have been frozen. It just gets funnier and funnier, sorry Paul.

I'm getting very confused. I'm VAT registered and have a GB EORI - but have just realised I now need an XI EORI to go between England and Northern Ireland. I've got myself completely confused - has anyone done this and got sorted - the forms seem very confusing, and I've gone round in circles!

Are you doing a temporary import/export or are you selling kit to a customer in NI

If it's something like a hire job, where the kit goes in and out of NI, then you'll need a carnet.

For selling kit, you'll need an NI Eori number as well, and then what happens next is anyone's guess.

We need carnets for moving goods WITHIN the United Kingdom? Please tell me this isn't right?

Basically, yes, yes you do. Despite all the bluster there is now effectively a boarder running through the Irish sea and whilst there's a slightly different protocol specifically for NI compared to the EU the regs require that you do all the paperwork as though you were fully leaving the UK and then get to null it all AFTER you prove the items didn't leave NI. To complicate things because the regs were only confirmed just over a week ago the paperwork, processes and institutional knowledge isn't there to support you through the process.

It is worth noting that even the biggest most well resourced distribution and freight companies are experiencing major problems with the process and many have flat out refused to move anything in/out the uk for a couple of months so that the processes can get worked out and a system established. Unless it is absolutely essential that you move kit from GB to NI in the next 2 months you really should give serious thought to rejecting the job; this is literally a multi-million-pound problem. We have bitten the bullet and left trucks full of equipment in storage in mainland Ireland because the cost/risks from that are less than the hassle involved in bouncing it between islands.

t

Not relevant to our industry but to the EU issues. My local French delicatessen has closed for January to refurbish. It's clever because it allows big business to 'talk' to Government and put in place processes to get stuff from the EU. They drive to France and pick up local produce to sell in SW London and don't know how that is going to work out for them at the moment. I look forward to the Brexiteers upping their tax contributions to cover the tax our industry has contributed for decades working across Europe.

Project Fear is dead. We now have Project Reality to worry about. In the fullness of time this will be sorted and simplified but in the meantime, the bureaucrats and jobsworths on both sides of the trading divide are having an absolute field day at our cost.

A number of UK festivals that use Spiegel tents as their main venue are now calling around looking for alternatives as under current requirements quite apart from the whole carnet situation; the entire build/break team will need visa with all the months of paperwork and complications that entails.

I've been speaking to TSS as we have exhibitions over in NI later in the year. I suggest you register and contact them directly to ask - there were actually quite useful.

The answer I was given was;

- yes you need an XI EORI number.

- No, we do not need a carnet. In fact it might not be possible as it's still inside the UK (as well as not inside. Schrondingers carnet...)

- As we remain the owners of everything, we will be both the consignor and consignee

- As the haulier (our vans) we will need to do the port pass document as well. That includes a detailed inventory of everything going.

This applies to us though - it may not be the same for you. I have printed copies of all the answers I have been given. The inventory is going to be a pain in the ass. Oh, and taking a van over empty means empty. No pallets, empty crates etc. I suspect a toolbox would be OK as personal goods, but I can't say for sure.

Next on my list is a call with the Chambers of Commerce to see if we can work out what paperwork we need to send a van, with crew, to Germany to work on a trade stand. Joy....