earphones

gnomatron

I fancy getting a pair of nice noise-isolating in-ear 'phones for use with my new mp3 player. Might be handy at work, too, though really that's just an excuse to spend more money on them :(

Anyways, I want to spend somewhere in the region of 50-100 quid, and the only ones I can find so far are the shure ones. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also - I know I could spend much less on proper headphones for the same resulting sound, but I feel a right pillock walking down the road wearind my hd-25s. They do keep my ears nice and warm, though.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a look at www.sensorcom.com as you can get decent SOny earphones, with custom moulds that are fitted to your ears. You do need to go and spend £25 on getting ear impressions made by an Audiologist, but the difference is well worth it. I had mine made over 5 years ago and although I have changed the bud drivers every so often the moulds are still going strong...

Mike

I have a set of FutureSonics IEM's that I use with my iPod, sound is awesome with a good weighty low end, although you do have to keep buying them little yellow foam things unless you get custom moulds done, think they are sold in the UK by Sennheiser.

Etymotic Research also make some nice ones, although ive not had a chance to listen to any of their products.

I've not heard terribly good things about the Shure ones. If I were buying some I'd go for the Etymotic ER-6s (or the ER-4s, which are more expensive). You can also plug the ER-6s into their musicians' earplugs, which is a nice idea.

The newer iPods support ALAC, which is Apple's take on FLAC.

Anyway, it's not really to do with hi-fi, it's to do with isolation. If you're somewhere with 85dB ambient noise and you want to actually hear the music, you need to crank it up dangerously loud. If you've got isolating earphones you can hear it at a comfortable (and more to the point, safe) volume.

I have an iriver, not an ipod - not totally convinced by the sound quality, but it supports oggs and various other formats, and seeing as it's firmware-upgradeable it'll happily support more in the future. I've heard bad things about the shures before, bah. I may just give up and use my hd-25s.

The guitar amp and keybourd centre (http://www.gak.co.uk) have recently been selling some turbosound earphones for £20, but I doubt they have isolating capabilities.

However if you turn it up really loud, it will mask the osund from anything else! :)

but maybe that will damage your hearing - so not recommended.

I boght some of the Turbosound 'phones when they first came out, one word to describe their sound - rubbish.

£20 for a set of earphones that sound worse than the ones that come with the iPod is a bit of a joke, espeically as their only redeeming feature - the generic ear moulds they come with - can be imported from the states for about £12 last time I looked. So going on retail pricing thats about £10 left for the earphones themselves.

However the little ear buds that they come with however, will fit over most other decent sets and do offer good isolation, I have found that with my Futuresonics using large yellow foam things with the generics from the Turbosound 'phones the sound is very rounded and they are quite comfortable to wear over long periods.

• 2 weeks later...
Shure E2c are about £60 ( www.mercury-av.com/sales seem to be cheapest in UK ). I've tried quite a few different in ear monitors including Sony, Sennheiser and the more expensive Shure E3c. To my ears the E2c's are the best by a mile as they are the only IEM I have heard that have a truly natural midrange. There is none of the upper mid sibilance that ruins the sound from most earphones and small headphones. Bass and treble response is not the most extended but smooth and natural and is there. For trained ears they are a top choice - and are they're good value too. My only critism is that they are a bit larger than some IEM's and are too big for use with custom moulds.

• 2 weeks later...
ah, my e2cs just arrived today. Damn sweet - excellent noise isolation, just like wearing earplugs, basically because that's what they are, and generally a good crisp sound. Very nice bass response from such small beasties, too.

Archived