How best to remove tour label residue?

Stuart91

Zippo/swan lighter fuel is pretty good for this sort of thing.Just don't smoke when using it

*kaboom!*

"You're only supposed to wipe the bloody labels off...!"

Edited by IRW

• 2 weeks later...

The cases are now clean. I was struggling to find time so it took a few shorter attempts until it was all done.

I used a bit of everything that I had available, so it's hard to pick an outright winner. However in terms of bang-for-the-buck WD40 and White Spirit seemed to be the best value options.

It also helped to have a cup brush with plastic bristles, which I put in my drill. Saved a lot of elbow grease but doesn't seem to damage the finish.

59892.jpg

WD40 and white spirit fumes are flammable. I hope you did not use an electric drill for this - cordless or corded. The sparks from the motor commutator can start a fire or explosion with flammable fumes present. If do have to use a power drill for this, use a compressed air powered one with the air compressor well out the way in a safe place.

Quick question - brushless motors - are they commutator spark free. I'd guess yes, but I'm not a motor engineer (I could ask my brother, I suppose, who is).

Yes, they are basically stepper motors, no commutators.I think while it is good to be aware of these things the risk of explosion from wd40 or white spirit used like this is pretty low.

All good to know, thanks.

I was in a large (~10000 sq ft) space with good ventilation, the fumes seemed to dissipate quite quickly. It's usually best to allow the solvent to soak in before attacking it anyway.

I'd certainly be wary of doing the same process in a confined space.

I think while it is good to be aware of these things the risk of explosion from wd40 or white spirit used like this is pretty low.

At a hire company I worked at in the 90's it was common practice to set light to the solvent (usually IPA IIRC) to help melt the glue, especially in the winter in our unheated warehouse...

• 4 weeks later...