Live camcorder to projector

mk_193

Hi,

I've been asked to help set up a workshop for some students to learn some filming techniques. The teacher wants to project the feed from the camcorder to a projector so the whole class can see what's on the screen. It will be a JVC Pro HD camcorder, it's got HDMI, AV, and mini USB A connections. Can this be done without any software?

Thanks

Always best to list the make and model number of the devices you are looking to connect and as mentioned above spec the distance between the Camera and the Display device - in this instance I would also want to know how the camera was being used (Hand held, Tripod etc) and is the camera feed also having to be recorded.

Joe

This is something that we do all the time and have never had a problem with 10m HDMI cables, but HDMI connectors are not, by any means, a robust, professional connector,so I would strongly advise tying/taping/securing the HDMI lead to the camera handle and projector mount to avoid mechanical stress on the plugs and sockets. I've also found that the HDMI leads with the braided outer sleeve tend to kink less for this kind of work (although they still need some TLC to remain usable).

This is something that we do all the time and have never had a problem with 10m HDMI cables

I've had 10m cables work consistently with one output device but consistently not with a different one. No issue with shorter cables. You never know just how close you are to the digital cliff edge so I tend to err on the side of caution.

If the camera is moved around a lot, consider using a HDMI to CAT5 converter system at each end (Secure the camera end converter to the camera body). Depending on converter system used you *may* be able to use a longer cable length. CAT5 patch lead is much more flexible than a HDMI lead and is quick, cheap and easy to replace if anything goes wrong with it.

If the projector has an AV input (phono connection) then I would be tempted to utilise that. No worries about cable length, I'm assuming the projector is ceiling mounted so an additional cable could be run in neatly and either terminated to a plate that the teacher could then plug into, or a coil left for the teacher to use (command hook cable hooks are amazing!). Less worries about compatibility issues, cables are available relatively cheap compared to long HDMI cables, you can only provide the video cable so no worries about audio feedback. And in my experience a phono connection is less likely to fall / pull out than an HDMI!