Roland V-800HD Mk2 RS232 Control

pete10uk

Hi All

I'm trying to control a Roland v-800hd vision mixer via RS232. Ultimately I would like to use a streamdeck via companion but I'm stuck getting the Roland to accept the commands, I keep getting ERR:0 returned which is syntax error.

I'm using an iTach ip2sl ip to serial convertor and the supplied iTest software to test the commands. I can control an NEC projector using hex codes, so I know the hardware, cable and my process is working at least for hex codes.

The Roland is asking for Ascii commands and gives stxATO; as the command to do an Auto Take

The Roland manual states this "stx This is the ASCII code signal name (code number 02H [hexadecimal]) and code that signals the command start.

Your device’s stx command may not be the ASCII letters “stx” or “02H”. Refer to your RS-232 controller’s manual to send proper command."

Sending stxATO; or ATO; doesn’t work so I assume that the ip2sl uses something else to indicate the start of the command, but I'm lost as to what, I can't find anything on the net to help.

Any pointers would be great, I'm not great with serial commands unless I'm copying and pasting!

No personal experience with the gadget but try sending \x02ATO(the \x should convert the 02 into an STX character)

See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/commandfusion/DEanHbqoHns

Thanks Tim for the reply. No this did not work, I had previously tried 20H on the front instead of stx as the manual says that it the hex. Not really understanding why I was doing it! but it didn’t work anyway.

Edited by pete10uk

It says the iTest software has a hex command mode, can you switch to that and send 02 41 54 4f which is STX followed by the letters ATO

edit to add, the manual says you have to send a semicolon to show the end of the command, I missd that in your text above

So in text mode \x02ATO; should work

or in hex mode 02 41 54 4F 3B

there is a text - to - hex converter here

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/ascii-to-hex.html

Edited by timsabre

It says the iTest software has a hex command mode, can you switch to that and send 02 41 54 4f which is STX followed by the letters ATO

edit to add, the manual says you have to send a semicolon to show the end of the command, I missd that in your text above

So in text mode \x02ATO; should work

or in hex mode 02 41 54 4F 3B

there is a text - to - hex converter here

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/ascii-to-hex.html

Thank you Tim. the hex 02 41 54 4F 3B worked. I've tried for a couple of evenings concentrating on the text sting and it didn’t work.

\x02ATO; Didn’t work

02 41 54 4F 3B Did :-)

Thank you so Much !!!

Wonder if it would accept control characters in the text input - STX is Ctrl-B.

Not Sure what you mean? I'm sat in front of it and can test

He means hold down the Ctrl key and press B then release the Ctrl key then press A T O ;