Lighting Board with 8 Pin DIN

Nachtmaken

Hi,

Sorry, I meant a board not an Lighting board in the Topic Title, not DMX.

I was looking a while back for a Demux to convert an Old Dimmer Pack (green ginger 610 micro pack) However quickly came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to by an older board that has this connector.

I have no clue what board I am after but preferably one on the larger size (12 Channels/Dimmers). And is around £20 Used?

Any Help would be Great.

TIA

Edited by Nachtmaken

Just to clarify - you're looking for an old (analogue) lighting desk which will control some old Green Ginger dimmers with an 8-pin DIN/Bleecon connector? If you can edit the topic title to remove DMX, that would make a lot more sense because that's a very different thing!

Green Ginger dimmers use a standard 0 > +10v control voltage, if I remember correctly, so most old analogue controllers should do the job. Have a trawl through eBay as a starting point. Avoid anything from Strand - their analogue gear was 0 > -10v so won't work with your dimmer.

Adding to what Gareth's said, there are two different pin arrangements for the DIN connectors. One standard is used by Pulsar, Zero88 led the other. On some controllers (such as this one) it's relatively easy to rewire, as the incoming connections screw into terminals on the PCB.

(I know this because I had to do it, minutes before doors, at a student event back in my formative years)

The £20 budget is tight for 12 channels, something like this might be a bit more reasonable.

Another option to keep an eye out for is the Anytronics MiniDesk which is similarly easy to rewire.

Some people detest them, but a Behringer LC2412 does provide 12 channels of 0-10V analogue out on a 15 pin D connector. It's available new and there's usually a few available used on 'the bay' at any given time - remember to check 'completed listings' to check what they are actually selling for, rather than what sellers are wishing for. The documentation is available online to allow you to make up suitable leads to go to your dimmer packs. They also provide DMX output so you can build a system with a mix of dimmer pack communicaton protocols. This desk is OK for conventional lamps but get something else for movers and other clever stuff.

Ignore any Strand analogue boards you might find on auction sites. Strand used -10v for full-up; everyone else, including Green Ginger, used +10v. NB: older Pulsar gear used 8-pin DINs, but with their own wiring convention, so maybe also best avoided.

Some people detest them, but a Behringer LC2412 does provide 12 channels of 0-10V analogue out on a 15 pin D connector.

Useless for the OP as a) he needs PLUS 10v for his racks and b) his budget is around £20 so unless he can get a second hand desk for that.............

Useless for the OP as a) he needs PLUS 10v for his racks and

I thinks the - in the post above the post above is short hand for to ,not negative,from the manual

Analog out Sub D connector, 15-pole Level 0/+10 V DC

Fair point :)

. NB: older Pulsar gear used 8-pin DINs, but with their own wiring convention,

Just curious - was it only Pulsar that used this wiring convention, or was there a more even split between different manufacturers?

I still have some Anytronics dimmers which have two DIN sockets on the front, one labelled Pulsar and the other Zero88. I'm not 100% sure that it isn't a modification by the previous owner though.

Some people detest them, but a Behringer LC2412 does provide 12 channels of 0-10V analogue out on a 15 pin D connector.

Useless for the OP as a) he needs PLUS 10v for his racks and b) his budget is around £20 so unless he can get a second hand desk for that.............

The LC 2412 does 0-+10V according to the manual. However, making a connector is time consuming, and would probably push towards £20 in parts and cable unless they were lying around.

Your call but Demux on ebay at £30? We have had one of these for years and it's worked perfectly apart from needing to replace a smoothing capacitor in 2015. That and MagicQ on a £10 dongle and you're off.

The connecting lead will be impossible to find cheaply. Use the forum WIKI to search DIN connectors for the 8 pin version which gives both of the pin allocation systems in use, but the components for the lead will top your £20 budget without a substantial spares stock to pick from.

Your call but Demux on ebay at £30?

that uses 25 pin D sub for the outputs so erm wouldnt that meen

making a connector is time consuming, and would probably push towards £20 in parts and cable unless they were lying around.

Now you mention it...