8pin din to 5 pin DMX adapter

Nachtmaken

Hi All

I struggling to find an adapter online for a green ginger 610 micro pack.

I need to find an adapter to convert its control output (8 pin din) to 5 pin DMX. I have some technical know-how however can't figure out how to covert it.

I may be able to do it by myself however I am a bit dozy and will need at least images/ instructions of how to. Or a Website where I can buy one.

Many Thanks in advance!

You need a Demux (de-multiplexer) unit to convert (digital) DMX to the 0v to +10v that your analogue dimmer pack needs. Googling "6-channel DMX" will come up with an assortment at various prices (at least 1 BR member makes them).

I'm only aware of 4-channel Micro-packs, fitted with 6-pin DINs, so maybe someone has swapped the connector to 8-pin, which is the usual analogue connector for portable packs. You can buy ready-made 8-pin leads or make your own (you would only need 6-core cable).

You need a Demux (de-multiplexer) unit to convert (digital) DMX to the 0v to +10v that your analogue dimmer pack needs. Googling "6-channel DMX" will come up with an assortment at various prices (at least 1 BR member makes them).

I'm only aware of 4-channel Micro-packs, fitted with 6-pin DINs, so maybe someone has swapped the connector to 8-pin, which is the usual analogue connector for portable packs. You can buy ready-made 8-pin leads or make your own (you would only need 6-core cable).

Cannot find one for a dimmer pack the ones of amazon and around are for RGBW strips or cycs. And the proper one from looking come out at about 150 pounds. Can you provide a link to a decent on that is about £20 ish?

Thanks

Edited by Nachtmaken

Just to clarify for the OP - you need some electronics, usually microprocessor based, to do a protocol conversion as sandall explains. It’s more than just a couple of connectors with wiring between, which is why it’s more in the £100 range not £20.

Sorry if you already know this!

If you just have the one Micro-pack do you really need to control it with DMX & a lighting desk? A small 4 or 6-fader Anytronics or Zero-88 analogue "desk" would be more than adequate, & would be a bit nearer your £20 mark (PM me if interested in a 2nd-hand one). Or you could even build your own.

You are unlikely to get change out of £100 for even a small (6 - 12 channel) Demux kit, which will still need a lot of hardware & a power-supply, but If you have several dimmer packs, so DMX is the easier way to go, there is a 2nd-hand 72-channel one on feabay for £55 at the moment.

If this is a single Micro-pack, worth perhaps £25 if in good nick, there seems little point in even considering DMX, when a simple analogue box with 4 or 5 potentiometers would do the trick. There are plenty of demux kits around, but they all cost a lot more money than the pack is worth, & most will involve a fair amount of metal-bashing.

I have been looking for ages and seriously considering selling my three 6 channel analogue packs and buying DMX ready units when I bid on a Pulsar 18 channel DMX/PMX/Analogue converter and got it for just shy of £40 with postage. Works fine in test. Using it an anger next week.

Probably easier to buy a dimmer with DMX on board. Found a few Demux units on fleabay for £55 without the output cables, you could pick up a 6 channel DMX dimmer for around £125 / £140 (2 I've just seen). Sell the Green ginger for £50 and you're about at the break even point on the whole project, but with a unit you can sell for more.

(If you have more than 1 Green Ginger then it would be worth going the Demux route - the above only works for 1!)

There's also this on the bay for £26.50 which you could make something of if you're up for it:

https://www.ebay.co....OEAAOSwTdxc~0Fl

I recently bought one of these to convert an old 12ch dimmer pack, my analogue controller needs a set of 26 new faders, so easier to convert to DMX and use a newer controller.

It unit has two led display and a couple of push buttons to select DMX channel numbers.

It seems to work fine, but I dont have access to the dimmer packs at the moment, so cant fully test it..

It is on a bare chassis with a psu built in, so will need boxing.

The output is on a short ribbon cable, so requires a bit of soldering/lead making.

T