Simple 8-output XLR sound interface

TomHoward

Afternoon all

Does anyone have a recommendation of a budget-conscious sound interface that gives 8x XLR out?

It's for QLab multi-channel playback mixed in Qlab & connected directly to spot effect speakers etc (no desk in the setup often). the inputs really wouldn't be used.

I'd really like 8x XLR out rather than a mixture of connectors that require different adaptors. 8x balanced jack would be okay as we could make a loom up but preferably not a mix.

The two options I have in mind at the moment are:

Buy a Klark Technik DN9630 and pair it up with a Behringer S16. This gives 8x XLR outs but does have a load of unused inputs - we already have an S16 so it would cost about £200 but would tie the stage box up from any other jobs.

Use an ESI Gigaport HD+ (8x phono line outputs for about £70) and convert the outputs using Neutrik or similar transformers.

If there were an off the shelf option for around £200-300 it would be less messy than either of these options.

Behringer and Tascam have options with 8 analogue out on balanced jacks. I suspect you'll struggle to find them on XLR, even our expensive RME interface has the outputs on jacks.

You could use an interface with ADAT then one of behringers ADAT-XLR boxes.

The Behringer UMC1820 has 8 line outs, but on TRS rather than XLR. Also, of course, lots of stuff you don't want, but it's in budget at only about £160.

Or for not much above your £300, you could get a Behringer X Air XR18, which could have many other uses when not on QLab duties.

You could use an interface with ADAT then one of behringers ADAT-XLR boxes.

Out old setup used to be an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge with 2x ADA8000s to give 16x16.

It was a nice setup at first but the ADAT cables were always falling out (they didn't lock that well), and the ADA8000s developed problems with the PSUs and used to output horrendous distortion once they had been powered up for a few hours.

Thanks for the Tascam recommendation that looks about right, although both the Tascam and Behringer have front panel level control that look to adjust the outputs, which I'd rather avoid if possible - literally just fixed outputs would be ideal

Thanks for the Tascam recommendation that looks about right, although both the Tascam and Behringer have front panel level control that look to adjust the outputs, which I'd rather avoid if possible - literally just fixed outputs would be ideal

The tascam knobs adjust the inputs not the outputs. The outputs are fixed.