sharks tooth for projection

Dave m

Hi,

A performance artist wants to perform a dance behind a projection screen, with images ("holograms") also appearing on a screen in front.

She showed me a Japanese /K-Pop type performance where images are projected and the singer interacts.

The space is really small and I first thought of sharks tooth as a projection material, but will the audience be too close?

I am guessing 3M might be the closest?

Would domestic net curtain type stuff be better given the distances?

thanks

Can you guarantee that dom3stic net curtains are suitably flame retardant? I would go with one of the usual theatre suppliers (Joels, McDougalls, Whaleys, etc.) and maybe look at 'Voile'. I've never tried using it for the effect you describe but it might be worth an experiment.

Having said that, we did a studio show last summer where we projected on to black Sharkstooth. The audience were probably around 3m at the closest point. The screen wasn't very big (maybe a couple of metres square) but the effect worked okay. However, we didn't light behind the gauze at the same time as projecting on to it so that is different to what you want to do.

This picture shows projection onto the gauze.

Edited by kitlane

Seems to be their own brand version of hologauze. I haven’t used it but have hologauze. You loose a lot of light so need a big projector and need to design scenery upstage to cope with the spil. It’s also very low resolution surface so content needs to be created carefully and deliberately if it’s to look half decent