Rechargable 9V Batteries and Wireless Packs

skinda0

I have been using GP batteries (most recently the "ReCyko" branded ones)

I had a look at CPC and the GP lithium batteries (BT05447) look pretty good voltage over time wise but as big clive says - may introduce switching noise.

The datasheet has some good graphs on the discharge times and the lithiums are much better than the ReCyko ones you mentioned (BT06291).

The lithium PP3s have a lithium cell and boost converter inside so they should theoretically put out a fairly solid 9V for the full discharge.

I was at an event in the summer and there was a significant buzz on their radiomic [Trantec S1 HH]

I did try out a pair I got from Amazon, and found exactly that. After a little while static noise on the mic, AF peak LED flashing away. So may have to find another use for them now!

Might give the lithium a go, and get a pack of akaline while I'm placing an order as backup!

• 5 weeks later...

I had a look at CPC and the GP lithium batteries (BT05447) look pretty good voltage over time wise but as big clive says - may introduce switching noise.

The datasheet has some good graphs on the discharge times and the lithiums are much better than the ReCyko ones you mentioned (BT06291).

That is a non-rechargable Lithium cell - so long life but expensive and you only use it once!

I did some looking around to try and find something from a reputable UK supplier (not on ebay or Amazon marketplace). I found quite a few things but none which seem to be quite what I wanted yet.

Conrad Li-ion 350 mAh:

Pros:

• Lots of capacity
  • Reasonable pricing

Cons:

• It's a 7.4V battery (two 3.7V lithium cells in series), so probably won't work properly in many devices which expect 7.5V minimum from a flat battery.

iPower US Lithium 700mAh

https://www.buyabatt...s-chargers.html

Pros:

• Huge capacity

Cons:

• It's a 7.4V battery (two 3.7V lithium cells in series), so probably won't work properly in many devices which expect 7.5V minimum from a flat battery.
  • Very expensive!

Vapex Tech 9.6V 220mAh NiMH

Pros:

• Proper 9V voltage range.
  • Decent capacity.
  • Good pricing
  • Website acknowledges that PP3 rechargables vary in voltage and notes which chargers will charge which!

Cons:

• Charger out of stock?

MaHa 230mAh 9.6V NiMH

Pros:

• Decent capacity.

Cons:

• Expensive!

I'm currently thinking the Vapex Tech batteries (these seem to be sold by multiple vendors in the US, but not many UK sellers). https://www.vapextech.co.uk does not have the 9.6V ones on it, only 8.4V.

Oh, and someone took one of the lithium+converter type apart here, with a massive amount of ripple on the output!

That is a non-rechargable Lithium cell - so long life but expensive and you only use it once!

Vapex Tech 9.6V 220mAh NiMH

Pros:

• Decent capacity.
  • Good pricing
  • Website acknowledges that PP3 rechargables vary in voltage and notes which chargers will charge which!

Cons:

• Charger out of stock?

I'm currently thinking the Vapex Tech batteries (these seem to be sold by multiple vendors in the US, but not many UK sellers). https://www.vapextech.co.uk does not have the 9.6V ones on it, only 8.4V.

Oh, and someone took one of the lithium+converter type apart here, with a massive amount of ripple on the output!

Thanks for the detailed research Richard!

I must have overlooked the non-rechargable part of the lithium one.

I had another go with the rechargeables I bought and they just don't last. The freeport mics just start pulsing on and off after a little while.

I bought some alkalines for now but may have to get a few of the vapex ones. They look like the best of the bunch.

Edited by skinda0

• 3 weeks later...

So I bought a set of the Vapex Tech 9.6V NiMH batteries, and in the end the 10-way charger because the 4-way was out of stock.They did a test run on Saturday and their first job on Sunday, and got in excess of 3.5 hours continuous operation each time - which is as much as I needed. No problems with the S3500 packs going in to low battery / flickering even at the end, so I am pleased with these. I didn't try to take any voltage measurements yet.

The charger is a 15V DC input (not 12V), comes with a wall wart but would be a little more work to set up on a secondary battery like Cedd's rig as a result.

• 8 months later...
I posted on this in 2011 (I think) saying that I was using them (Li-ION PP3) successfully and was saving a fortune . The whole forum dumped on me with one person saying "Nope I will never try them" I am still using the same batteries to this day and I get 12 hours on a full charge highly recommended. I Have now bought some Senn G4 100s and am using the Ikea LADDA AA rechargeables with great results

I have to say we're using the Sennheiser BA2015's with G3 and G4's - lecturers can leave them on all day and they last around 6 hours from a full charge. Added bonus of being able to charge them whilst in the beltpack (using the L2015 cradle) so easier for end users mange themselves (we also leave a spare BA2015 in the cradle in case they don't replace the beltpack after use). Well worth the money for our application (daily use of around 6/8 hours per day).