Solid speaker stands

Mr Steve

Morning all,

I am looking for a recommendation for a pair of really solid speaker stands for a pair of Martin F12s. A lot of cheaper stands seem to have plastic cuffs where the tripod feet meet the centre column, or threads which strip when tightening. I've also seen some stands where the leg braces seem to be made of thin material and flex easily.

What are people using which is really solid? Can you give me a model code?

Thanks guys.

+1 for Sandall's suggestion of Powerdrive. We have some that have been kicked around for over 15 years, and are still fully functional.

These might be another option. They're very stable when set up, we tend to try and use them when outdoors etc. Build quality is not on a par with the Powerdrives, but they still seem to last OK. The weakest point is people knackering the wind up mechanism, but even then you can strip it out and use them without.

Edited by Stuart91

+1 for Sandall's suggestion of Powerdrive. We have some that have been kicked around for over 15 years, and are still fully functional.

Only 15 years? - they're barely run-in!! Some of mine were bought ex-hire over 30 years ago & the only difference between them & the newest ones is that the tubes have lost their shine.

Edited by sandall

We have about 20 K&M (non winch) stands and there's always a few in the corner broken. They travel in the proper k&M bags and are not rough handled, however this does not stop the sprung pin coming adrift and falling into the tubing.

The only negative on the Powerdrives is a somewhat inadequate wing nut to tighten the base, which if over tightened tears and spins. A couple of ours therefore have a G-clamp attached to the base, which suffices.

The only negative on the Powerdrives is a somewhat inadequate wing nut to tighten the base, which if over tightened tears and spins.

I replaced the base wing-bolts with hex bolts, backed up by a self-tapper into the tube, to stop the base being moved. IIRC my Strand ones have a fixed base anyway.

The only negative on the Powerdrives is a somewhat inadequate wing nut to tighten the base, which if over tightened tears and spins. A couple of ours therefore have a G-clamp attached to the base, which suffices.

Agreed, though I never thought of that simple solution.