All I want for christmas is a DMX Switch

redcarpet1956

Hi all,

I require a switch for a DMX fixture set.

I dont want or need a controller or a desk with lots of faders and sliders.

I have a bar owner that just wants a standard switch (just like a light switch).

He then wants to switch this on and 6 DMX fixtures to light up (all on addr-1) around his pub. Nothing else flashy. No room for growth. Nothing else at all.

Simple I say - I will just take a look around ebay or aliexpress etc for a small printed circuit - there has to be one - right?

HOWEVER, I dont think anybody in this universe that makes one!

All it needs to do is to send 100% signal to DMX addr1 - plain and simple.

Am I missing something? I can't find anything that sends a DMX signal except for wireless senders or small DMX desks/controllers.

Please help guys I think I am going crazy.

Thank you very much.

Yes - good one, too expensive for him unfortunately - but thanx for your reply

Can't most DMX fixtures be run in stand alone mode where you can select, say red @ full, and when it is powered on it comes on with red at full?

Cheers

Gerry

Good point

Edited by redcarpet1956

Can I just mention

* He is not likely to want to pay more than £50

* I have a DMX Signal sender that I would attach to this DMX switch if I can find one cheaply.

* He is thinking of doing this in his other bar aswell, again, completely separate from anything or any other DMX setup

But thanks for everybody's ideas - great lateral thinking chaps

:¬)

As Gerry suggested, you may be able to set them to power on in the look you want, then you don't need DMX at all. What fixtures are they?

Small DMX controller with a strip of white leds

* I have a DMX Signal sender that I would attach to this DMX switch if I can find one cheaply.

If you've already got the source of DMX and just want to effectively connect and disconnect it from the fixtures then you'd get away with a double pole relay. Just switch the + and - of the DMX through it and it'll come and go. It's 5 minutes soldering. Heck you could even use a double pole switch like you find on fused spurs and forget the relay.

Otherwise what's your coding like? An arduino can send DMX easily and can be made to do exactly as you wish.

If you've already got the source of DMX and just want to effectively connect and disconnect it from the fixtures then you'd get away with a double pole relay. Just switch the + and - of the DMX through it and it'll come and go. It's 5 minutes soldering. Heck you could even use a double pole switch like you find on fused spurs and forget the relay.

As I understand it he just wants a switch to turn them on and off, not to disconnect the DMX which would probably not have any effect anyway.

I think the options are as described above if an actual DMX wall panel is too expensive...

If the fixture/driver has any stand alone options, set the desired output on the fixture and switch the power

If not, get something outputting DMX at full and hide it somewhere then switch the power

Chroma-Q Playback Controller - https://chroma-q.com/products/playback-controller

I have one for £60 if you'd be interested? I think that'd do the job for you.

Thanx for the offer - this would have been the answer - however I am going the Arduino way - but thank you

Arduino with a DMX shield? I can write the code for half a dozen scenes.

I use one for my basic DMX fixtures. There are a few tutorials on the net.T

Hi Tony

I think this would be the best option and I am also going to use this method for a 4 channel cue station control system. It is the more flexible option and use wireless DMX to connect it all up.

Thanks very much for your input - I now need to blow the dust of my soldering iron and brush up on Arduino sketches. B-)