Vertical projection

jmdh

I wonder if the whole stigma about mounting projectors pointing vertically down is due to the earlier units having issues with that.

Modern projectors have evolved greatly. Are there any real issues in mounting them in an orientation as long as cooling vents are unobstructed?

No particular problem with pointing an "ordinary" projector downwards, provided it has been constructed to allow for this, or is mounted in a cradle that supports it about its centre-of-gravity, but just to rely on a possibly quite thin bottom plate to take the entire weight is a bold step. Would you take the risk over people's heads? I certainly wouldn't.

I think I would want to know its internal construction before hanging a budget projector vertically - you could be putting a considerable strain on the fixing points.

No particular problem with pointing an "ordinary" projector downwards, provided it has been constructed to allow for this, or is mounted in a cradle that supports it about its centre-of-gravity, but just to rely on a possibly quite thin bottom plate to take the entire weight is a bold step. Would you take the risk over people's heads? I certainly wouldn't.

I haven't yet come across any with any restriction on vertical mounting, ie it is shown in the manual. Most of the mountings are direct into the internal metalwork on larger projectors (that I've had cause to look at).

Edited by sunray

I haven't yet come across any with any restriction on vertical mounting, ie it is shown in the manual. Most of the mountings are direct into the internal metalwork on larger projectors (that I've had cause to look at).

If vertical mounting is in the manual then fine. The manuals for mine don't mention it, so it's not something I would risk without a cradle.

If vertical mounting is in the manual then fine. The manuals for mine don't mention it, so it's not something I would risk without a cradle.

Quite rightly so.

Thanks for all the many thoughts on this topic!

Summary of some of the most salient points:

- Secol and Unicol are brands that include flexible "system" projector mounts

- Various suggestions on how to fabricate a vertical mount (beyond my capabilities!)

- Don't hang a projector vertically via its base plate mount unless the manual says it's okay or if you have a cradle which supports its centre of gravity

- You lose quite a bit of brightness using a mirror

- Use a first surface mirror to avoid ghosting

It does seem like the consensus is that the mirror idea is sub-optimal, which is not surprising Personally I'm not comfortable to fabricate a hanging cradle so I think a vertical mount such as https://unicol.com/products/projector-mounts/projector-suspension-unit would be the way to go, budget allowing.

Another spanner in the works comes from the fact that the venue is now saying we can't rig any equipment of our own (I don't think is a judgement on any of our specific plans so much as a blanket policy - we need to go back and question them on this), so this may be all academic...

I am going to be enquiring about this, Jivemaster - I'm not a party to the hire contract. The venue is fairly well equipped as a small theatre, but the people managing it are not theatre specific, so there may be some expectation management on both sides. The overhead projection equipment is not a deal breaker because it's only one piece of the show, and if we need, we can find (inferior) alternatives (to be honest, it's starting to look like we'll need to do this for budgetary reasons anyway). The house lantern stock is adequate for our other overhead rigging needs. And it now seems like I will at least be allowed to use their mobile scaffold for focussing, so small victories...

But this is really all off the original topic :)