Chauvet Rogue 1 spot

oldbutnotdead

Was having a look at one of these- all the motorised bits work fine but the lamp (big fat LED) has stopped working. Anyone know what voltage a 140v LED normally likes- I was seeing 8v (which to me sounds a bit low, the wiring didn't look beefy enough to run 17 amps for very long). Ta

I'm not familiar with the spot version, but assume the lamp is something like the Luminous CBT140 or equivalent.

I would stick a diode test on the LED itself and also check if there is something up with any temperature sensing circuit if there seemed to be nothing doing when it comes the input side. Further up the chain, obviously check if there is multiple outputs on the SMPS and what each of those drive. And if they are.

If the dimming isn't mechanical, then the driver circuits are also of interest.

Edited by indyld

According to Chauvet the LED is 140W at 6A, so it needs just under 24 volts. Does the fixture electronically dim the LED? The 8 volts you are seeing might just be low current leakage from the driver if the dimmer channel is at 0%.

Ah, didn't spot the 6A bit in the manual. No there's no electronic dimming, the units lamp on as soon as you power up. The LED shows the right sort of impedance for a big diode (infinite one way round, about half an ohm the other) so more likely the PSU is goosed. Once this current show is over I'll dismember the other one (which still works) and do a bit of comparison testing.....

I'm not familiar with the spot version, but assume the lamp is something like the Luminous CBT140 or equivalent.

I would stick a diode test on the LED itself and also check if there is something up with any temperature sensing circuit if there seemed to be nothing doing when it comes the input side. Further up the chain, obviously check if there is multiple outputs on the SMPS and what each of those drive. And if they are.

If the dimming isn't mechanical, then the driver circuits are also of interest.

Done a coarse diode test (reversed meter probes) & impedance is infinite one way round and about half an ohm the other. There's at least one overheat device on the heatsink but that metered out OK. SMPS may be the fault area- label on the side says 30v, there's one pair of outputs which are at 30v, the lamp pair are at 8v (should have checked for any AC component while I had it apart but forgot). Dimming is mechanical so can cross that one off the list :)

there must be some sort of control from the led driver otherwise how would it turn the LED off if it overheated? For example many of the better fixtures will switch the led off if it detects one of the fans has locked. LEDs are generally current-controlled, so once you're certain the psu should be giving full output, take the led load off and measure again. If you're certain its 24-30V then a small 24v lamp across it will give a better indication than a digital meter if we're looking at a pwm signal.

A power led will normally light to some extent with a few milliamps across it, try powering it seperately from a 9V battery or two.

Hi,

Just to confirm the fixture in question is a Rogue R1 Spot?

Kind regards,

Dennis

Indeed it is- nice little beasts, no idea how many hours but nowhere near enough to hit the 50,000 quoted :)

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. The Rogue R1 Spot has electronic dimming / strobe so this may then point to the drive circuitry of the LED being at fault or perhaps an overtemp error causing it not to turn the LED on. It's all potentially repairable. If you would like to book the unit in for assessment to determine exactly what is at fault, or if you need any further help just let me know.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Edited by livewire4989

there must be some sort of control from the led driver otherwise how would it turn the LED off if it overheated? For example many of the better fixtures will switch the led off if it detects one of the fans has locked. LEDs are generally current-controlled, so once you're certain the psu should be giving full output, take the led load off and measure again. If you're certain its 24-30V then a small 24v lamp across it will give a better indication than a digital meter if we're looking at a pwm signal.

A power led will normally light to some extent with a few milliamps across it, try powering it seperately from a 9V battery or two.

Couple of good tips there- ta. Not actually mine (belongs to a bunch I work for occasionally), if I get another half hour free with it I'll give them a try.EDIT There's at least one thermal switch/fuse on the main heatsink- doesn't look like a one-shot and its showing continuity so still suspicious of the PSU

Hi,

Just to confirm the fixture in question is a Rogue R1 Spot?

Kind regards,

Dennis

Indeed it is- nice little beasts, no idea how many hours but nowhere near enough to hit the 50,000 quoted :)

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. The Rogue R1 Spot has electronic dimming / strobe so this may then point to the drive circuitry of the LED being at fault or perhaps an overtemp error causing it not to turn the LED on. It's all potentially repairable. If you would like to book the unit in for assessment to determine exactly what is at fault, or if you need any further help just let me know.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Ta. Not actually mine (company I work for occasionally) but will pass that on. Yeah the DMX chart mentions dimmer but I'm sure the things sit there glowing all the time when they're powered up (wonder if the profile on the disco desk they have is driving the shutter rather than the dimmer.......)

Edited by oldbutnotdead