Enlarging and editing a real £20 note.

paulears

A question.. does it need to be an English banknote or just look like a note with a big value? Panto in the past typically use the Bank of Transylvania, Timbuktu or completely fictional name. No copyright on the £ symbol as used all over the world.

I guess if you downloaded one of these and went from there all should be well.

I think as soon as you replace the portrait of the Queen with another image, you are breaching their conditions. So possibly all would not be well. From the Bank of England's guidance: "You must not produce novelty versions of our notes, for example ones that feature a celebrity. This is because some notes that have been altered in this way have been mistakenly accepted as genuine."

Edited by andy_s

I think as soon as you replace the portrait of the Queen with another image, you are breaching their conditions. So possibly all would not be well. From the Bank of England's guidance: "You must not produce novelty versions of our notes, for example ones that feature a celebrity. This is because some notes that have been altered in this way have been mistakenly accepted as genuine."

Which begs the question how does the company I linked to earlier get away with it...

Loads of celebs (real and cartoony) on there and the notes 'look' pretty much like the B of E style (don't have a twenty handy to check at the mo)...

Which begs the question how does the company I linked to earlier get away with it...

Loads of celebs (real and cartoony) on there and the notes 'look' pretty much like the B of E style (don't have a twenty handy to check at the mo)...

Once you've been to the cashpoint, you'll be able to see that the design is nothing like a real banknote. The only thing that is even vaguely similar is the colour, and that works by suggestion only, compared to the real thing it's not really accurate.

I think what you are not allowed to do is take a "real". note and replace an element of it. (i.e. using photoshop or similar). If you design your own note from the blank paper up, which is what effectively the company in your link has done, (creating a "novelty banknote" as opposed to a "novelty version of a BoE note) then you could get away with it! :P

Edited by andy_s

[

Once you've been to the cashpoint, you'll be able to see that the design is nothing like a real banknote. The only thing that is even vaguely similar is the colour, and that works by suggestion only, compared to the real thing it's not really accurate.

I think what you are not allowed to do is take a "real". note and replace an element of it. (i.e. using photoshop or similar). If you design your own note from the blank paper up, which is what effectively the company in your link has done, (creating a "novelty banknote" as opposed to a "novelty version of a BoE note) then you could get away with it! :P

Ah - the reason those novelty ones look familiar is because they ARE similar to the "Series E (Variant)" old notes as seen a bit down this page- last issued in 2007...

So they ARE in fact taking an OLD but real note and manipulating it somewhat...

That MAY be a fine line to be crossing...

So they ARE in fact taking an OLD but real note and manipulating it somewhat...

That MAY be a fine line to be crossing...

according to the BoE website, their conditions apply equally to current or withdrawn notes, so yes, a very fine line indeed.. Still, I suppose they have to get caught first....

a few years ago now I worked on a play set in the 1950s and we needed banknotes.... We went to the local antiques / flea market in the Pannier Market in Barnstaple, found a stall selling coins and notes, and bought a ten bob note and a pound note, then photocopied them back and front, (b&w only, colour copiers very rare in those days) onto white airmail paper, and our ASM spent a couple of days hand-tinting them. Luckily the character who handled them wasn't supposed to be very rich, so we didn't need a lot!. We were playing community halls, village halls, theatres, and in some of the places the audience was less than 4 feet away from the actor handling the notes, and people thought they were real. I think this would probably be frowned upon by the BoE now..... Of course there was no intent to defraud, the notes were long since out of circulation, and of course with them being pre-decimal no one would have been taken in by them in a real world situation....

Edited by andy_s

Their notes are extremely similar to the old £20 and the old £50 note - they have their blanks available for download here, I don't have photoshop but would be interested to find out if it would recognise these as notes and not open them...

I do have Photoshop and whilst I was not going spend £3 paying for the files, I did do a screen cap of the twenty from the samples page and tried to open that - got the obligatory warning and refusal to open the file, so yes - they ARE copies of the old legal tender and as such that site IS breaking the law.....

Although it's actually quoting prices in Euros, the site is clearly (unless hiding behind a false location) outside of the UK, so probably thinking the long arm of British law can't reach them....

Their notes are extremely similar to the old £20 and the old £50 note - they have their blanks available for download here, I don't have photoshop but would be interested to find out if it would recognise these as notes and not open them...

I do have Photoshop and whilst I was not going spend £3 paying for the files, I did do a screen cap of the twenty from the samples page and tried to open that - got the obligatory warning and refusal to open the file, so yes - they ARE copies of the old legal tender and as such that site IS breaking the law.....

Although it's actually quoting prices in Euros, the site is clearly (unless hiding behind a false location) outside of the UK, so probably thinking the long arm of British law can't reach them....

I guess if you're on the internet you're safe. I didn't look very far into the website, but I'm sure it said "download novelty banknotes for free".....

I guess if you're on the internet you're safe. I didn't look very far into the website, but I'm sure it said "download novelty banknotes for free".....

The link James posted has a DOWNLOAD button which takes you to the pay-for-it page.

I would imagine that if it is double size and panto'd up, then no-one is going to mistake it as genuine!

I would imagine that if it is double size and panto'd up, then no-one is going to mistake it as genuine!

one would imagine so. The rule does seem somewhat cautious.