Blocking phantom on XLR inputs

Stuart91

I've just bought a new digital console, and one limitation is that there are no jack or phono inputs, everything is XLR.

For "walk in music" etc. I need to have a minijack available at the console. The obvious answer is a simple minijack to dual XLR lead, but I'm a little concerned that at some point phantom power will get accidentally applied. (Imagine, for example, a visiting engineer loading a show file etc.)

The other option is a stereo DI, but even the smallest ones will be a bit annoying kicking around in the case. And they are likely to get nabbed for use elsewhere.

What I'd ideally like is a compact way of isolating the +48v from the minijack. Looking around for potential circuit designs, I can find this:

FZ5K5TPJ3AFDUJ5.LARGE.jpg?auto=webp&frame=1&fit=bounds

It's clearly intended for protecting mics on a balanced connection. My connection will be unbalanced, so I could make just one half of the circuit and potentially fit it inside an XLR connector. Is that likely to work, or have I overlooked something?

That's a good shout - it hadn't occurred to me that a small transformer would be an option. And they're cheap enough that I can buy a couple to experiment with.

As long as you aren't passing DC through the winding you'll be OK. If you are then, depending on the size and construction of the transformer, you run the risk of saturating the core which'll reduce your headroom and introduce distortion.

Those look like very sturdy units. I imagine they'd be ideal for use on stage, but I'm not so keen on the idea of one bouncing around in a dog box with the mixer.

Velcro it down then?

Stop throwing the mixer down stairs? laugh.gif

While they are sturdy, I can't see one being able to inflict significant damage to the back of a mixer. Also, by the wording of visiting engineer, is this going into a venue anyway?

E2A And a couple of these too. My link

In case anyone needs to know...

Both of these are dual 600R-600R transformers. XLR pins 1 and 3 are connected. XLR shell is not connected to pin 1.

On the mono version, the two transformer outputs (L and R) both connect to pins 2 and 3 of the single XLR. On the stereo version, each transformer secondary connects to pins 2 and 3 of the respective XLR.

3.5mm stereo plug to transformer bubble is 75cm, 2-core+screen, transformer bubble to XLR male(s) is 75cm twin 1-core+screen.

Transformer bubble is a metal case with screw affixed end-caps (so you could take it apart) and the label has a circuit diagram per the description above.

DC continuity measures 80 ohms between 3.5mm T or R to S. On the stereo version, XLR pin 2 to pin 3 measures 98 ohms, and between XLRs pin 1 to pin 1 measures <1 ohm. 3.5mm S does not have continuity to XLR pin 1.

Edited by kgallen