Martin Mac service

DonkiDonki

We have some mac700 profiles and mac250 krypton in need of a good clean.

Happy to strip them and clean the optics but unsure on what lubricants to reapply where needed.

Manual mentions various parts that can have teflon lubricant applied but doesn't recommend anything for things like gobo wheel gears.

Which teflon lubricant do people use and does anyone recommend lubricating any other parts; and with what?

Hi

I use light oil spray such as MechOil, and use it sparingly on the feature wheels. Irises should never be lubricated, because anything you add ultimately dries out and jams the petals together.

I would avoid using PTFE spray as it tends to become very gummy over time which inevitably leads to problems.

Optical components can be soaked in 100% isopropanol before air-drying. Be wary when removing the 700's diffuser assembly as it is extremely fragile, and the zoom lens must be fully forward before it can be slid out of the chassis.

The kryptons are a much simpler affair, although care must be taken not to crush the wiring with the colour/gobo assembly when putting it back together. The focus worm drive can be lubricated with a few drops of 3 in 1.

Belts can be lubricated with dressing spray.

All the best

Timmeh

Sorry, totally OT but what has happened to Martin these days.in 1995/6 I worked for an install company who 'rented' one of their properties in Maidstone,and were one of their preferred contractors. Last year I went to Martin's ex place to attempt to get a part but of course they're not there anymore.

Hi

I use light oil spray such as MechOil, and use it sparingly on the feature wheels. Irises should never be lubricated, because anything you add ultimately dries out and jams the petals together.

I would avoid using PTFE spray as it tends to become very gummy over time which inevitably leads to problems.

Optical components can be soaked in 100% isopropanol before air-drying. Be wary when removing the 700's diffuser assembly as it is extremely fragile, and the zoom lens must be fully forward before it can be slid out of the chassis.

The kryptons are a much simpler affair, although care must be taken not to crush the wiring with the colour/gobo assembly when putting it back together. The focus worm drive can be lubricated with a few drops of 3 in 1.

All the best

Timmeh

They were bought by Harman and now work through distributors such as Sound Technology in the UK. I've spoken to some at Sound Tech who seem to know the score enough that one might assume they are ex-Martin peeps. Edited by indyld

They were bought by Harman and now work through distributors such as Sound Technology in the UK. I've spoken to some at Sound Tech who seem to know the score enough that one might assume they are ex-Martin peeps.

Thanks, I thought it was something like that when I looked at the website. It seems Harman are taking over many companies.

Harman have of course subsequently been bought by Samsung which has added a further layer of "big corporation" to Martin. Interestingly Jem (who were bought by Martin some years ago) are still carrying on as before in their factory in Louth. I think they are just keeping their heads down from the corporate flak.

Hi

All the best

Timmeh

Thanks for sharing. Would you use a touch of graphite powder on the iris if it seems rough or does that have the same issue as the PTFE?

Thanks for sharing. Would you use a touch of graphite powder on the iris if it seems rough or does that have the same issue as the PTFE?

Hi

Nope - it will go sticky after being baked on with the heat. The only thing I would be tempted to use is molybdenum dry film lubricant.

All the best

Timmeh

Hi,

Personally would only use manufacturer recommended lubricant where specified and available. The official teflon lubricant is available from Martin priced at £26.19+vat. We currently have one tube in stock in the UK if required.

If you need any further assistance just let me know.

Many thanks,

Dennis