Personal monitor system.

revbobuk

I see that Midas have just launched a new personal monitor system that uses AES50 instead of Ultranet, and seems to be claiming "Compatible with any 44.1/48 kHz AES50-equipped devices including Midas and Behringer digital consoles and I/O boxes" - which means the X32. Is this the first in a new generation? Start of a series of products?

Certainly looks interesting. I wonder when they will actually be shipping?

Two mixes from one unit is a very clever idea. That, and the fact it can hook straight up to a console with no additional boxes required, means it'll likely be a game-changer in terms of price.

I expect they'll sell a bucketload into the church market.For some touring/function bands, it could be a decent solution, far better than fiddling with a phone app during a performance.

Some nice features which were missing from the Behringer P16 system - e.g. ambience mic and built in reverb. Also remote configuration is an interesting idea, some musicians seem unable to make their own mix and the sound tech has to come to stage to do it for them.

Sounds like it does need one additional box, a "Midas hub" to power it and distribute the AES50.

I see that Midas have just launched a new personal monitor system that uses AES50 instead of Ultranet, and seems to be claiming "Compatible with any 44.1/48 kHz AES50-equipped devices including Midas and Behringer digital consoles and I/O boxes" - which means the X32. Is this the first in a new generation? Start of a series of products?

It most likely needs to be AES50 so that it can work with the new HD96 as well as the X/M32 family...

The return channels are a big deal. I’ve kept away from similar systems in the past because they’ve not allowed for easy connection of wedges back in rack world - you had to run a jack lead from the mixer back off stage to the amps.

The return channels are a big deal. I’ve kept away from similar systems in the past because they’ve not allowed for easy connection of wedges back in rack world - you had to run a jack lead from the mixer back off stage to the amps.

That could also be handy for wireless IEMs. Sometimes I've had to resort to having an individual transmitter sitting at the performers feet.

Certainly an interesting box, and good to be able to have a full mix, rather than being limited to Ultranet's 16 channels.

And raises more questions as to whether an X32.2 is on its way, as possibly teased by Behringer last week (though it could also be yet another synth re-issue). There's been the unsubstantiated rumours of X32 firmware 4, possibly removing the 8 channel routing restrictions. As I see it, these routing restrictions would need to be changed for the DP48 to work. It also makes you wonder if an X32.2 might really be imminent.

Either way, MG continue to surprise - watch this space...

Looks too complicated from the photos - if the musician is busy playing/singing/performing on stage, then surely it needs to be more simple so they can quickly get to what they want... the original Behringer one looks simple, as do Avioms.

Currently looking at an X32/M32 install for a church, and the 10 year warranty on the Midas kit is swinging it for me (if costed out as 3 year vs 10 year life) so was interested to see this from Midas to not have the Behinger kit for mons, but may be sticking with Behringer for this side now.

Looks too complicated from the photos - if the musician is busy playing/singing/performing on stage, then surely it needs to be more simple so they can quickly get to what they want... the original Behringer one looks simple, as do Avioms.

Currently looking at an X32/M32 install for a church, and the 10 year warranty on the Midas kit is swinging it for me (if costed out as 3 year vs 10 year life) so was interested to see this from Midas to not have the Behinger kit for mons, but may be sticking with Behringer for this side now.

I use the original Behringer P16 one and this doesn't look much different to operate. Just click the button for the channel/group you want to control, twiddle the knob. All the complicated routing stuff gets set up during soundcheck, when you are playing you mostly only adjust the main volume or occasionally change the mix slightly.If that price above is accurate then it will cost only slightly more than 2x P16-M's and it is a lot more flexible, we use up quite a few mix buses on our X32 to submix the drums and provide room ambience for the P16's, all of which can be done within this box. And anything stereo takes up 2 of the P16 channels so you use them up quickly.