essentials for a foh playback recording rack

CARWYN

Hi all

Im in the process of building up a front of house playback / recording rack and im after everyones opinions on what it should contain.

at the moment it contains the following

2 x focusrite saffire pro 40 for the ability for recording and playback this includes a 16 way analogue split patch panel

1 x mac mini (including the sonnet rack mac rackmount kit)

patch panel containing the following

midi in

midi out

firewire in x 2

network ports out x 4

network port in x 1

xlr outputs x 16 (focusrite outputs)

xlr inputs x 16 (focusrite inputs)

usb's x 4

xlr outputs x 2 (for headphone out of mac)

coax out x 2

coax in x 2

powerconn in x 1

powerconn out x 1

does anyone think I've missed anything it'll all be racked in a 4 u rack case

Thank You

Carwyn

Your rack sounds very similar to mine however mine has a second Mac mini with a home built changeover box to switch the sound card audio over in the event of failure (manual switch).

I’m assuming your rack panels are at the rear? If so I’d suggest you bring some usb’s round to the front for easy access. Also maybe a small 12v supply in there for a gooseneck light front and back?

One of my network ports has a POE supply in line before the rack panel to power my 5GHz access point.

Maybe for utility proposes stick a 5v supply in there to a couple of USB’s that are just power only - so should the need arise to charge something you’re not sticking a phone/camera/whatever in to an operational machine.

Your rack sounds very similar to mine however mine has a second Mac mini with a home built changeover box to switch the sound card audio over in the event of failure (manual switch).

I’m assuming your rack panels are at the rear? If so I’d suggest you bring some usb’s round to the front for easy access. Also maybe a small 12v supply in there for a gooseneck light front and back?

One of my network ports has a POE supply in line before the rack panel to power my 5GHz access point.

Maybe for utility proposes stick a 5v supply in there to a couple of USB’s that are just power only - so should the need arise to charge something you’re not sticking a phone/camera/whatever in to an operational machine.

hi

patch pannel is at the back the sonnet rack mac has 2 usb ports on the front anyway but an extra couple of usb ports with just power is a good shout. also I have a led strip running round the front edge of the rack to light up the front area but am thiking of putting an extra powercon out as a power source out for a desk light or something similar cant really afford a secondary mac mini right now but may invest in a second in the future

1U CDR/USB/SD recorder/player, for quick "on the fly" recording/playback when the talent turns up with a CD or USB key 5 minutes before going on?

edit: corrected typo

+1 for that. People still turn up with CDs and weird media.

I'm finding cassettes are coming back.

And if I record an event (ie: I do PA for real eastate auctions) I always use a cassette in addition to digital, in case there's a power failure.

1U CDR/USB/SD recorder/player, for quick "on the fly" recording/playback when the talent turns up with a CD or USB key 5 minutes before going on?

edit: corrected typo

+1 for that. People still turn up with CDs and weird media.

I'm finding cassettes are coming back.

And if I record an event (ie: I do PA for real eastate auctions) I always use a cassette in addition to digital, in case there's a power failure.

It would likely be better to buy a UPS - means you’re not reliant on a low-fi recording should the worst happen