Does anyone know if the BBC...

Mr.Si

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone knew if the BBC Tech dept had a website where they sell off used sound equipment such as Stage monitors, rad mic's, and other funky sound and lighting equipment?

Thanks

Si

I worked with an exBBC guy and while they own some great gear like all companies they own some crap too......

But it would be nice to see a site like that and dream of days when our meager budgets inflate to the heights where we can afford to spend £5000 on one mic

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone knew if the BBC Tech dept had a website where they sell off used sound equipment such as Stage monitors, rad mic's, and other funky sound and lighting equipment?

Thanks

Si

Sorry Si.

BBC Technology doesn't exist anymore (now part of Seimens Business Services)

BBC Resources doesn't have one.

BBC Broadcast doesn't as far as I know

BBC Nations and Regions are so fragmented anyway that I would have no Idea where to start....

Of what you are after, Equipment generaly gets used 'til it is completly worn out or it is completly obsolite.

There are exceptions to that, as in when the Music Studio at TVC was completly stripped then they had to find a buyer for the Capricorn desk at short notice who could remove it. But the BBC can't supply redundant plant to anyone who might be in competition with the BBC.

Generaly this means that the equipment that does get sold gets sold to places like Bulgaria.

Oh and we generaly use cheep AKG Dynamic mics, Coles Lip Mics, AKG 451's or Neuman U87s in post production.

James

I've seen it posted before that the BBC does not put stuff on the market as it is a licence fee funded body, and tends to put stuff out on large scale aid / quango donation.

Plus a lot of BBC Fx is hired for purpose and a lot is hammered by overuse.

When large scale technical clearances are done there tends to be one purchaser who will offer an amount to take all of the relevant kit. This will usually then be sold on via auctions etc.

There is an ebay trader who does a lot of broadcast kit. He's OK, provided you know what you are after as he doesn't necessarily know what it is he's selling (allegedly). If you have a look at his profile you will see a number of negatives. He doesn't suffer fools gladly.

I've been bitten by this particular trader - complete ar*shole. Bit like a dodgy Del boy. Charged me £70 for carriage and after reminder after reminder, it turned up in an old cardboard box with a bit of bubble wrap, complete with broken knobs that aren't available anymore. Awful people. There was nearly a user group set up of disgruntled customers. Many were put off by threats made by them. No real telephone numbers, office (when a mate checked) was a mail drop with loads of other firms. No address for them other than po box, no collections, outrageous postal charges. Read the feedback, but be aware many people were warned by them not to post negative feedback. My one and only negative was by them who accused me of not paying. It was in fact Paypal who withdrew the payment because they didn't deliver. About a year later they asked me if I would mutually withdraw the negative comment - I refused. If anyone considers dealing with them, I can probably dig up the threatening emails I got from them. They are VERY careful to be accurate with descriptions, the critical thing is what they don't say - let's just say carefully drafted ommissions.

I have a lovely DMC1000 Yamaha mixer, leaning up against a wall. Lights up and faders move. My fault that I didn't realise it needed special digital interfaces and the analogue inputs are line rather than mic level. The interfaces, of course don't exist anymore. I paid a lot of money for it. They claimed it was ex-Kate Bushes studio, but somehow I doubt it. If anyone wants it - it is VERY heavy, and can pick it up from Great Yarmouth, it's yours for £50 - seriously! If two people want it, I'll donate the surplus over £50 to the Blue Room.

Plus a lot of BBC Fx is hired for purpose and a lot is hammered by overuse.

What do you mean by this statement?

James

Maybe he means they can't sell some of the FX kit (moving lights?) because it isn't their's to sell, as it was hired for an event.

Thats how I read it anyway.

Archived