Asset management

eamon

Hi all

I have recently moved employment to a gallery setting.

It is a slight bit different from the theatre world but maturity in life has beckoned me forth to the new enterprise.

I have a query re asset management and how others manage their systems.

I have inherited a large amount of laptops, ipads, iphones, various chrome books and an assortment of various sized monitors. As of now, there is no asset management or proper knowledge of the various bits of equipment. I am not sure if I am opening Pandora's box here but I believe I need to consider a system that I can track all the kit etc.

I am also straddling a line between asset management and a rental software approach as there is a lot of short term contracts etc.

I am wondering if anyone has been in the same boat and has any possible pointers for good management practice and software approaches?

Thanks in advance.

eamon

Do you need to do availability checks and track physical location of the items - ie "check them out" to an exhibit.

It is a bit of a bodge, but I have set up a fixed asset inventory sort of system for a small performing arts centre in the past using their PAT testing database software. We created a new test type called "Stocktake". Anything that did not get PAT tested that we wanted to track was in the inventory of the software as requiring a "Stocktake" test. It prompted for a "Visual Inspection" test - which the operator would confirm. When the location of an item that we tracked (generally lighting and sound equipment) was changed - (generally between seasons) - the user selected the correct location in the tester and then tested the relevant assets. It could also be done in bulk from the software. We could run reports to see what was overdue for testing (ie 'has not been seen in 6 months), what didn't work (failed the "visual inspection" or any other test) or was all good.

The benefit - it used what they already had - and as shows went in an out, the stocktake generally took care of itself... The downside - It's a bit more tedious than a quick tick and flick.

I have to do something similar. I moved from film/theatre to an art dept in a uni and found "asset tiger" which is free. There are expensive items and Amazon £10 ones.

There are expensive tracking database systems as well but at a ridiculous cost

As most of my stuff is now in an excel spreadsheet, I set up an asset tiger test, you create a "card" for each item, importing from excel.I have only done phantom tests, i.e. "Lending" an item in a virtual sense, but it emails me when an item is overdue.

So far I have only relied on random allocated three digit numbers to id equipment but could switch to barcodes

As I say, not tried in anger but worth looking at

https://www.myassettag.com/assettiger/

Edited by Dave m

What do you want out of it ?

We have a rental system, but for anything like laptops,ipads,android devices, we have the rental system and then have a MDM over them to control them. We can track them if needed, we can push profiles (like lock down or single app use) change various settings etc, so long as connected to the internet. The best thing is that when we get a device back we factory reset it, reset it up and it looks brand new, we dont know what a client did with the device, and any data is removed. if they want to use the device like a device they can log in with their info and it looks like "their" device.

It costs quite a bit to get running but does open the option of locking devices, or making set devices for shows. The annoying thing is that each "brand" has their own MDM so airwatch combines them all. They all have their own good and bad sides.

Hi

Thanks for all the pointers.

I am finding laptops and other items randomly in desk drawers. There has been a gap since my predecessor left and my starting. Simply put, I do not know where half the items are or should be. I am responsible for the base IT of the organisation. This involves getting laptops ready for staff, exhibitions etc.

I am looking for something that I can do a basic track of where something should be and also look at a replacement cycle. As the organisation is quite tech heavy, "older" items may end up being surpassed etc. Hoping that I could use it help get an overall view of what they actually have as opposed to hearsay.

The asset tiger looks like it could be a possibility. I do not mind paying for stuff but I am not needing a full system OS approach. Something that I can attach a scanner and tag the barcode once a year/exhibition/start-end of new contract staff etc.

I think excel might not be enough for what I am looking for. I want to be able to generate a whats active and whats not working list quickly.

Eamon

I think excel might not be enough for what I am looking for. I want to be able to generate a whats active and whats not working list quickly.

If Excel is a bit limiting then Filemaker might be worth a look. It has its own limitations, but generating reports etc. can be done quite easily. There's probably an existing template that you could modify to suit your requirements.

Are you the only user of the asset management solution, or are you needing multiple networked users who can all test equipment or check it in/out?

For setting up devices a MDM might be a way to go. Apple do have their own one, especially as if the company have an apple account you can have the devices setup out of the box at purchase when you get new ones, various constrains apply.