Building a DIY video wall

EdK

The window image was far brighter to the eye than the camera has picked up here.

That always seems to be the case.We saw Chitty at Canterbury and the projection was superb, even breathtaking but the official photos (taken during our performance) appeared quite drab.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

The image you posted looks really good. I'm not quite sure where the 'floor' is. Could you edit the photo to show where the bottom of the projection actually is? How much space is between the actors and the wall? Also, what equipment are you using and what sort of surface is the wall?

Being a complete novice, how is skewing of the image avoided? What I mean is, if the image is being projected from above, the lower portion of the image (you would think) be out of focus, wider, and not as bright?

You can see a skirting board across the back. The projection just came down to there. I can't recall exactly how close to the wall you can get (depends on your height but 6-8 feet rings a bell) but there they were about 10-12 feet away. The wall is painted with white projection paint which has good reflection. The projector is an NEC and it's intended for offset projection so the optics and electronics compensate for the keystoning and focus correction Edited by alistermorton

You can see a skirting board across the back. The projection just came down to there. I can't recall exactly how close to the wall you can get (depends on your height but 6-8 feet rings a bell) but there they were about 10-12 feet away. The wall is painted with white projection paint which has good reflection. The projector is an NEC and it's intended for offset projection so the optics and electronics compensate for the keystoning and focus correction

Thank you. That was helpful. I went to the NEC website and was overwhelmed by the number of projectors there are. Would you happen to know what model your NEC is?

Not offhand. I can have a look when I'm next in which will be Tuesday.

There are plenty of projector manufacturers. Depending on the size of your stage you may get away with a basic model, but brightness may be an issue.

One thing we regret was not spending a bit more and getting a projector with an internal shutter. Our external One does the job, but one built in would have been neater and quieter.

Edited by alistermorton

Not offhand. I can have a look when I'm next in which will be Tuesday.

There are plenty of projector manufacturers. Depending on the size of your stage you may get away with a basic model, but brightness may be an issue.

One thing we regret was not spending a bit more and getting a projector with an internal shutter. Our external One does the job, but one built in would have been neater and quieter.

Thank you. Would appreciate that very much. I have no knowledge with these types of projectors (other than seeing them in use here and there) and can't relate to what an 'internal vs external shutter' even is.

Ed

When you aren't projecting any image, i.e. you have a black tile say during a blackout, the projector still emits light. This means that a proper blackout isn't achievable. The shutter (also sometimes called a dowser) blocks the light coming out of the projector. We have one which swings down over the lens that mounts on the outside of the projector, It works, but it's noticeable. A better solution is where the shutter is built in to the projector - it reacts more quickly and is quieter.

When you aren't projecting any image, i.e. you have a black tile say during a blackout, the projector still emits light. This means that a proper blackout isn't achievable. The shutter (also sometimes called a dowser) blocks the light coming out of the projector. We have one which swings down over the lens that mounts on the outside of the projector, It works, but it's noticeable. A better solution is where the shutter is built in to the projector - it reacts more quickly and is quieter.

We refitted an AV system in a university, the original mic aerials happened to be just above the projector position.

Several months after commissioning we received a call to say the radiomics didn't always work very well.

Someone had fabricated a shutter which was a large ali rectangle which hinged down over the lens using a 180o air damper actuator, such that the aerials were obscured when projector was in use.