Philips Selecon PL1 Range

vinntec

This interests me:

I did toy with the idea of getting the breaker changed to a C-curve, but decided against it on safety grounds

What "safety grounds" would these be? I'm used to thinking of C curve breakers as normal, certainly that's what's in my house, at the theatre, my place of work, so I'm wondering why you are reticent to change from B's which are sensitive beasts, to the C. This is quite apart from a ring protected by a 16A breaker....

MCB types have to be chosen with the cable and circuit in mind - not just willy-nilly replace a B with a C without understanding the local circumstances. There's a golden rule in safety protection devices - use the most sensitive protection that's practical. A 16A C-curve breaker could, in its limit, allow 160A to flow for 5s and, while it's true that this is likely to be safe in a new installation, or one which is thoroughly understood, I wouldn't want to replace a B with a C in a relatively old installation without knowing more about the wiring. Therefore I decided against it on safety grounds.

I'm with richardash all the way on this.

The new working prototype design with the Omron relays tests out fine, and the relay operation gives me an opportunity to kill some unused lights when not required (particularly the couple that have noisy fans in them).

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, robthirlby said:

Has anyone replaced the led engine in a selecon PL/1 fresnel?  One of ours has failed.  Any ideas where I should go for spares?

Rob Thirlby, Leicester Little Theatre

Rob - my understanding from several conversations with Keith Rogers (yes I know he's Zero88 but also notionally Strand too nowadays!!) would be to talk to the Service Dept at White Light in London. Keith seems to believe that they're the chosen main service centre/parts distributor for Strand these days now that Strand is part of Signify.

They might be able to recommend a service centre close to you - perhaps Hawthorns/Encore?

Push comes to shove - I might be able to source the part if we can find a parts number as I have a Signfy parts account but I don't have any documentation for the PL's (I'm in Coventry). However, I would give the guys at the Service Dept a call first - from experience they're always keen to help :)