Showtec Sunstrip Replacement Bulbs

Uriahdemon

Hi, I am starting to get the dreaded breakdowns on the original GU10 bulbs for the Sunstrip. I purchased general dimmable LED replacements but unfortunately at zero intensity they stay constantly on at a very low output. So something incompatible there and was wondering if anyone has any ideas please. I am looking for an alternative solution as opposed to spending money on Showtecs own replacements which are £20 each......??

Hi All, a few questions from you so far..........

I could replace with 50W Halogen however I cannot find 75W or 50W halogen. As Alistair mentions ...... rare as hens teeth.

Replacement to LED was to get over the halogen lamps firstly blowing and secondly their availability as per above.

Looking to replace 75W halogens with LED but not pay the silly prices Showtec are after i.e. £20 for one.

Thanks all

we replaced all the lamps in our stock of sunstrips with the showtec led replacement 18 months ago after experimenting with a few cheaper alternatives - none of which gave a satisfactory look or dimming curve.

Yes, the showtec replacements are expensive but they give a very near replacement in terms of look ( a few LD's that REALLY were sceptical about led version never noticed the swap until I pointed it out) but the vastly lower power consumption and reduction in maintenance ( not just lamp replacement but also the lack of triac replacement) and the reduction in having to manage the risk of people having to swap dead lamps out at hight is well worth it in my mind.

Indeed, the sunstrips go out more than they used to now that they pull less power, are more reliable etc etc, so are earning more money too.

Edited by csg

Replied

I've evidently got quite a lot of hens teeth then...

Uriahdemon - PM sent.

Mark

Thanks Journeyman, some good food for thought there !!

we replaced all the lamps in our stock of sunstrips with the showtec led replacement 18 months ago after experimenting with a few cheaper alternatives - none of which gave a satisfactory look or dimming curve.

Yes, the showtec replacements are expensive but they give a very near replacement in terms of look ( a few LD's that REALLY were sceptical about led version never noticed the swap until I pointed it out) but the vastly lower power consumption and reduction in maintenance ( not just lamp replacement but also the lack of triac replacement) and the reduction in having to manage the risk of people having to swap dead lamps out at hight is well worth it in my mind.

Indeed, the sunstrips go out more than they used to now that they pull less power, are more reliable etc etc, so are earning more money too.

Hi Journeyman

We are thinking in buy this led lamps but....???

My question is: this lamps have the "same" dimmer curve like a halogen lamp?? when it's at 0% it flicks???

And on the website it says "Due to its compact size, the LED Sunstrip lamp is not suitable for continuous operation with "full on"." what is this?? We can't have the Sunstrip more than 5 min or 2 min at full???

no led lamp has the same dim curve as s halogen lamp, but these are the best I've seen. The led lamp warms significantly at the dim end of the curve and is damped somewhat to delay the fade out and fade in, giving a softer ./ smoother fade like the halogen lamp.

So, no they are not quite the same, but it is perfectly good enough for doing smooth, dim and warm glow effects.

As regards the duty cycle - ours have been left on for quite some time without any issues - by quite some time I mean 10 mins at full etc, if someone has parked a fader and gone for a cuppa etc. As these are effects units rather than house lights / cyc battens etc I've got no issue with them not being rated for continuous full operation.

Out of some 300 or so lamps fitted not a single failure over 19 months. No dead triacs either which is another major bonus.