Par64 VWFL Advice

Boggy

Hi, I recently bought some (40+) long black Par64 cans with VWFL (CP95) lamps in them. These lamps are very wide with Beam 50% = 70x70 and Beam 10% = 125x95. I know that WFL lamps or wider need to be used in a stubby can so clearly someone has made a mistake here. Not suprisingly the paint has come off the can from where the lamp is mounted to about 5cm in front of the lamp.

I bought these units to add to the 60 various lights I already own and was looking to add some more colour wash in a theatre setting (short throw to 15m wide stage). As such I am looking to cut down some long cans using an angle grinder in a jig and remounting the gel frame brackets.

Does anyone have any experience using these globes or any tips for my project?

As well as refitting the gel frame clips, you’ll also need to reform the ridge that runs around the end of the lamp body. It is there to strengthen the end of the lamp, and it will be a bit flimsy without it. You’ll need a roll-forming machine to do this. It might be cheaper and easier just to find some short body cans.

I've never done this but I'd have thought that the easiest way would be to cut out most of the cylindrical section of the barrel, leaving just perhaps 15mm on the 'lamphouse' side and the same on the front end formed section, still complete with the gel frame clips. Then join the two bits back together by pop riveting a 30mm wide strip of aluminium around the join - this could actually be cut from the 'waste' section of the can, so no new material required apart from the rivets. Won't be quite as short as a real short can, but as mentioned above, if you don't keep the rolled bit at the front, it'll be quite flimsy.

Good point about the ridge at the front. I have a friend who owns a metal fabrication business who may be able to help out. I had also considered removing a bit from the middle as suggested but the metal work would have to be of a high standard for it to look OK.

Talk to your local lighting hire company - most will have a "parcan graveyard". (I have a whole bunch hanging from my warehouse rafters, waiting hopefully for the day when hipsters get notions for them)

I imagine someone would be happy to swap some short nose for long pars, maybe with some beer thrown into the transaction.

With 40+ to work on it's possible that they could be cut and shut with a bit removed, then really beautifully TIG welded back together and resprayed with mat black engine paint (which is the cheapest heat resistant finish retail available). BUT it will not be free especially if done well.

Do you have other short cans with narrow lamps? Could you make something by mix and matching lamps and lanterns from our entire stock? How useful are WFL lamps in your business?

Whatever you are planning beware the possible permanent loss of PAR lamps forcing you towards LED.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips and advice. I will certainly be using the mat black engine block paint to finish the job. I have a very limited budget as these lights will be used for Amdram and by local schools where I volunteer (saves school production budget to hire more tech stuff). In regard to lamp availability, I was hoping to buy about 10 of these units. Instead I won an internet auction and bought 46 units complete with lamps for $150 AUD. That's about $3 AUD per unit or 1.65 Pounds Sterling! If I was going LED, it was worth buying this deal just for the hook clamps and safety bonds.

I did cut one unit down last weekend and was pleased with the outcome. The front was a bit flimsy but would be OK for use by myself. I will continue to work on this as time becomes available. Since I have so many units it won't be a major problem if I bend a few. I was able to compare the light output of the cut-down unit with the standard long can and was pleased with the result.

If there is a hire company in Melbourne Aus who is looking to get rid of some short Par cans please contact me as I am interested.

wide cans can be very useful...

I was board op (early version of "programmer" except I had to sit through every performance instead of swanning off to the next gig :rolleyes: ) in the late eighties on a Handel opera where we had scroller on 2k fresnels. Because they were focussed with lamps close to the lens, the gel strings kept falling apart from the heat. Solution was to swap them out for PAR64/CP95. worked well enough, different quality of light, but that was acceptable vs constantly losing the use of scrollers because the darker colours in the gel string had burnt out yet again.

Historic note; the LD was Francis Reid, and the Gemini control desk was pre DMX, so to control the scrollers we had a Sirius 24, which did spit out a universe of DMX. This meant I had to use a finger on each hand to operate any cue which involved a scroller change, which meant putting down the book I was reading. (lovely singing, but with about 30 cues in 3 hours, I had plenty of 'downtime' during the show...)

(apologies, a bit OT)

Edited by andy_s