Very simple but programmable DMX controlller

gotty

Your problem is that Far East do not make architectural DMX controls thus you are left with conventional brands and first world prices. Will your dimmers take analog at the same time. if so a 6 way analog desk with diode patching will do the job OR will the dimmers hold last state? If you are using 6 way racks then with the right patching (FOH rack 1 Hall rack 2 stage rack 3 . . . .) you could have a row of switches (which is all the user wants) and power by the rack.

Thanks - I'm realising the prices are rather higher than expected. However, the GWDMX mentioned by p.k.roberts is about £150 and the budget may stretch that far (although I'm still working on the idea of a Raspberry Pi-based DMX controller.

It's all a new, and all-digital/LED, installation.

Raspberry pi would do the job, but suffers from problems if unplugged unexpectedly.

I use an arduino to run half a dozen pre programmed scenes (I have a couple of potentiometers connected to the analogue ins for dimming)

It doesnt learn new scenes, I have to reprogram it, but I'm sure you could get it to learn scenes and store the values in external non volatile memory.

T

Raspberry pi would do the job, but suffers from problems if unplugged unexpectedly.

I use an arduino to run half a dozen pre programmed scenes (I have a couple of potentiometers connected to the analogue ins for dimming)

It doesnt learn new scenes, I have to reprogram it, but I'm sure you could get it to learn scenes and store the values in external non volatile memory.

T

Thanks for the thoughts. I'd already thought about the Arduino - you've now convinced me!

I'm going to abandon my idea of a touch screen, uploading configurations from a memory stick and spending a lot of development time. I'm not so worried about turning-off issues as I normally have a battery backup in my Pi devices that shut them down cleanly.

I was also confused by the various DMX interfaces and software libraries for the Pi - the DMX hat for the Arduino look much more straightforward, and a much quicker development.

However, I'm still looking at the GWDMX as a backup plan if time gets away from me.

Arduino (or something like it) might well be the best bet - no file system to corrupt on power loss.

Thanks - even more convincing :-) See my previous reply.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Edited by gotty

• 5 months later...

It's a while since I started this … and I thought an update may be of interest. I now have an Arduino-based unit that holds 48 preset scenes (in banks of 12, with each lamp dimmable once the scene is selected).

There are some limitations, especially in terms of editing the presets (which are hard-coded). But it has an OLED screen showing which scene is in use, and which has been preselected, which is then actioned by a "select next" button (and a "select previous", just in case of a mistake). There's also a black-out button.

What is even nicer is that the whole unit is portable, and can be powered by a rechargeable 5v lithium battery and it has a wireless DMX connection (not yet tested).

It's still in prototype form, but I've 3D-printed a 25cm square box and front panel (with slots for faders etc). I'd like to add the ability to create different presets - but I don't think the Arduino (or more accurately my time) is up to this. I'm also struggling with noise pickup on the faders - however, I may look at a Raspberry Pi Zero with battery backup.

• 1 year later...
Try the innovation productions ISPLAY. I have used them at several venues. They are a programmable box which can be controlled remotely from a panel of buttons so they can't be messed about with by the untrained, however you can also plug a DMX desk into it to bypass the controller for fancy shows and also to make programming its memories easier because it can grab the output of you favourite desk.

However, the GWDMX mentioned by p.k.roberts is about £150 and the budget may stretch that far

One of my customers has one of the GWDMX units and they have got on very well with it. It's survived 5+yrs of walk-up, novice users without any obvious problems.