Carpet Tape

p.k.roberts

Hi All,

I need to temporarily lay a 'red carpet' in an already carpeted area. To avoid trip hazards, I have previously secured this with double sided 'Hippo Tape', which sticks really well, but the problem is that the tape itself is very thin, meaning that getting it off the existing carpet afterwards is a bit of a nightmare. So what I'm after, I think, is something more like a double-sided gaffa tape; i.e. something which has a bit more strength, so that it can be more readily peeled off afterwards. Any thoughts, product recommendations or alternative methods gratefully received.

"NEC Tape" is common in the exhibition world. It has a high-tack and low-tack side, so the high-tack grips your temporary carpet. Should lift off without any problems but test on a small patch first.

We have also sometimes laid a stripe of standard gaff tape onto the floor, and then laid double-sided tape on top of that.

"NEC Tape" is common in the exhibition world. It has a high-tack and low-tack side, so the high-tack grips your temporary carpet. Should lift off without any problems but test on a small patch first.

We have also sometimes laid a stripe of standard gaff tape onto the floor, and then laid double-sided tape on top of that.

Thanks for the reply Stuart; I had looked at that product, but the description seemed to imply that the floor needed to be flat and smooth i.e. not already carpeted, but the 'gaffa down first' solution might solve my problem.

Do you actually need to tape the carpet down underneath?

Your biggest risk to mitigate is the trip hazard of the edges of the carpet and I'd bet a good strip of wide, appropriately coloured gaffa along the edges would both prevent the trip problem and also provide a surprising degree of "hold". When we put carpets in bigtops if it's for less than a week we never under-tape and always find good quality edge taping is good enough.

Example of coloured 100mm gaffa https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaffa-Gaffer-Cloth-Waterproof-100mm/dp/B004CS9ZZ2

Best solution I've seen for this was a set company using a sticky mesh product on a roll. Was easy to remove after too. Think mesh was around couple of cms spacing. Also, think mesh was pretty much width of carpet runner, but not sure. Unfortunately was a little while ago and I can't remember what it was called and not coming up with much via Google, but you may have better luck than me.

Best solution I've seen for this was a set company using a sticky mesh product on a roll. Was easy to remove after too. Think mesh was around couple of cms spacing. Also, think mesh was pretty much width of carpet runner, but not sure. Unfortunately was a little while ago and I can't remember what it was called and not coming up with much via Google, but you may have better luck than me.

Lok Lift is perfect for this sort of thing. I've used it in 1mtr wide rolls for exactly what you are doing. Also available in 3" wide rolls I think. Works well on most floor surfaces, not that good if the existing carpet has a deep pile, but works fine on short pile commercial carpets like most hotels have.

Archived