19" Power Distribution - SHUKO / FRENCH Connectors

lightingtec

Hello all Blue Roomers

General question please on UK use.

Is it possible / acceptable to use Schuko/ French style Mains Plugs/Power Distribution INSIDE a Rack?

I have an application where I need a Single 19" Front Illuminated Power switch for a rack - and there are only 2 options widely available (as all the mass available ones have the switch on the same side as the 13A sockets)

For UK there are these https://www.adamhall.../pcs-10?c=16228

BUT - unshuttered IEC on front!and they're IEC - and most of the units I need to power are plug top power supplies with 13A or 2 pin Euro - so I end up just using this to switch one output to a 13A extension socket - but then have the risk of live open socket on the front.

or ideal - but wrong connector is

https://www.adamhall...7478?c=16228but with french/13A adaptors (non-reversible unlike schuko as they have earth pin) these could be converted - though possibly alternate sockets due to spacing.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-UK-TO-EU-EURO-EUROPE-EUROPEAN-TRAVEL-ADAPTOR-POWER-PLUG-CONVERT-3-TO-2-PIN-/201603125981

Of course, I can drill a 19" panel, add a switch and wire up to a 13A extension lead - but looking for an off the shelf solution.

Any views would be welcome. As mentioned the 2nd solution would work - but not sure once the PAT testers get at it in years to come what they'll say/do.......

So much for EU harmonisation :-)

It should be possible to open the unit up and snip the cabling to the front IEC socket. (Keep the earth connected just in case)

I don't see any problem with the foreign sockets. If there was a blanket ban, touring shows would be in a lot of trouble.

My only concern is that it could make it more difficult to swap items out in a hurry. If you just run a UK multiway socket off one of the Schuko outlets, and keep the standard 13amp plug on all your gear then that won't be a problem either.

I had some amp racks that had been bought ex-hire from a German company. They had Schuko multiways inside, and it didn't bother us for a good few years. We did change it over when we replaced the amplifiers though - it seemed silly to persist with a non-standard system.

...BUT - unshuttered IEC on front!and they're IEC - and most of the units I need to power are plug top power supplies with 13A or 2 pin Euro - so I end up just using this to switch one output to a 13A extension socket - but then have the risk of live open socket on the front.

And what's wrong with unshuttered IECs? If it bothers you then swap the front one for a shuttered one, it'll fit the same hole.

We used to assemble racks of kit and used Olson units (any type of connector), generally mounted on the rear strip, vertically or horizontally. If the customer requested a switch on the front we tended to supply 19" Olson units with the mounting 'ears' on the back (rather than level with the socket face) and punched a hole behind the standard switch and moved the switch, blanking the original hole with a traffolite warning lable. One of the popular requests was for an illuminated fused connection unit (Domestic single gang white) on the front, we'd cut a hole in a 2U blank panel for the switch and mount sockets on the rear. The switch looked ugly but people liked the instantly recognisable appearance.

Archived