80s lights

Andyb75

Hi all

Does anyone know what type of lights these are on this early madonna video it’s the ones panning around with the blue beam

I want something like this myself for my band I don’t really want led because I like the warmth and brightness of traditional par cans

Well - any beam light will do what you want - and there are plenty around. Trouble is, the shift to LED is almost complete in products that the majority can afford. LED is fine for brightness and a decent range of colours - so as you need a pile of them I'd look at the more affordable ones first. Real lamps keep the price up, rather than down, nowadays. What's the budget?

Hi Paul

I’d say around £500 I have a load of led slim par 56 they are great and Versatile to provide the main lights id much prefer lamps thou instead

Maybe 4 moving head beams or narrow wash will do it. ?its no problem creating the sweeping effect with the software I use it’s iPad based

That song was released in 1982, so not much was available then as intelligent moving heads. VL5 and studio color were 91/92 ish IIRC. Original VL1s were a bit earlier but they don't look like VLs and it may be too early for them too.

Probaly some sort of PAR 56 disco scanner, possibly a 4 head one, or 4 singles next to each other.

I doubt you want the hassle of finding the exact vintage effect used, so you are probably going to have to go with a moving LED head, particularly at he budget end of the market.

There were lots of nice lights then! A lot of inspiration and perspiration went into colour and movement but at a cost! Filament lamps hate being moved around lots! PAR cans were directed onto mirrors that spun, PAR lamps were moved in big fixtures such as "Harvesters" (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123118046454?rmvSB=true)

Some of the bigger ones used series stacks of PAR lamps.

The big down side now is the power consumed and the lack of replacement lamps so you could well consider LED lamps. I have some late 80s moving mirror discharge lanterns, they are rated at 575w but two will not start on a 13A plug as the startup current is about 10A each.

Hi

F.A.L and Coemar made a variety of scanners/disco heads that used multiple PAR36 sources, which were very popular in european techno clubs in the 80s and 90s.

They do crop up for sale from time to time.

Simple, cheap and bullet-proof; I can remember frequenting a particular club in Hamburg that was filled with them.

All the best

Timmeh

Simple, cheap and bullet-proof; I can remember frequenting a particular club in Hamburg that was filled with them.

Really, I'm not sure about that. They were complicated, expensive and unreliable as I remember them. Slip rings and brushes all over the place and often used lots of Par36 lamps in series meaning if any one failed, they all went out, but you had to take all the lamps out to find the faulty one.

Light Engineering Ltd used to make lots of designs of scanner -meaning a PAR lamp on a motor! PARs were usually PAR36 or 48 IIRC wattages from 20 to 100 or 250 -450 for ACLs. Almost everything had a transformer inside 6v to 48v was likely. Movement was usually made by a small 1,2 of 5 rpm shaded pole motorgearbox unit.

Wow some great responses here clearly a lot of people more knowledgable than me

Even thou everything has gone to led pretty much granted modern fixtures are a lot more energy efficient are they any better visually ?

I’m not so sure

I love led but you can’t beat the warmth of lamps

Archived