LED light boxes for Art

taylord

Hi all,

Not really related to backstage, but can anyone advise on some super bright LED tape/strip that would be suitable for this. The frame is made from MDF with white perspex as the work surface. The current LED strip is ok, but not powerful enough and when connected together to more light strip, loses even more intensity.

Thank you very much in advance.

Dan

Do you have a photo?

How do you have the LED tape arranged now? How big is it? RGB or white? How much depth is there behind the perspex?

Normal 5050 tape with 60 leds per metre is very cheap and difficult to beat for cost vs brightness, I normally just run multiple lengths of that connected in parallel, feed power from both ends if necessary to combat volt drop. Also you can now get 24V tape which suffers less from volt drop.

Hi Tim,

I can send you some pictures over next week if that's ok? Thanks for the suggestions.

Do you have a photo?

How do you have the LED tape arranged now? How big is it? RGB or white? How much depth is there behind the perspex?

Normal 5050 tape with 60 leds per metre is very cheap and difficult to beat for cost vs brightness, I normally just run multiple lengths of that connected in parallel, feed power from both ends if necessary to combat volt drop. Also you can now get 24V tape which suffers less from volt drop.

The ceiling tiles I have seen tend not to be all that evenly lit on close inspection, and might not be suitable for artwork. I'm not really sure what the OP's application is, I originally thought he meant the light boxes were part of an art installation thing but then after I thought maybe it was a tracing box...

I've got an interesting "bi-metallic" linear LED panel here. When you turn it on it looks fine, but as it heats up the use of different metals in its construction causes it to warp. That results in an initial even illumination but then the edgelight LED strip goes out of alignment with the panel resulting in progressively more uneven lighting as it heats up.

With good quality panels and a robust frame that keeps the LEDs in line with the edge of the plastic diffuser it should result in a fairly reliable light spread.

If modding panels like these to suit an application, keep in mind that the LED drivers are often not isolated from the mains supply to the same degree as a traditional power supply, and in some cases may not be isolated from the mains at all. Treat all wiring and the LED strips as being at mains voltage and make sure the frames get earthed/grounded.

The ceiling tiles I have seen tend not to be all that evenly lit on close inspection, and might not be suitable for artwork. I'm not really sure what the OP's application is, I originally thought he meant the light boxes were part of an art installation thing but then after I thought maybe it was a tracing box...

Exactly right, a tracing box. But I’d say a tracing bench so that 3-4 students can work on it at once.

In that case I would go for an LED ceiling tile, these are not expensive and are widely available. They typically drive the LEDs via a high frequency switched mode power supply and do not have any significant flicker. Usual caveats about mains voltage electrics. Whilst the LEDs operate at a safe voltage, this should be treated with the same respect as the mains supply as it may not be reliably insulated therefrom.

Whilst these tiles come in many sizes, the best value and the greatest choice is likely in the 600mm by 600mm size as these are hugely popular.

I agree, but for 3-4 students at once it's presumably pretty big. And to get round potential unevenness of light I'd make a box with milky perspex on the front then a 6" gap or similar then led ceiling tile(s) on the back face of the box to light the perspex.

Archived