Radio links for remote speakers

revbobuk

Just had a look at Handheld audio - they hire a 1w link system with license for £164 a day, or a 100mw system for £80. Might be worth giving them a call and talking through your needs?

Thanks Ninja - I will need one again later in the year so ideally would like to have something I can use time and time again. I'll take a look at HHA though

I've also seen in some places, people have used VHF 2 way radio for this but making cables in order to do this, I don't think is very practical, nor likely to work and open the key on the radio.
And this is a complete breach on all licence conditions.

Why?.

And handhelds are not rated for 100% transmission.
Why?

Why?.

Because your business radio licence says so...

4. Special conditions relating to the activities of the Licensee

The Licensee shall ensure that the Radio Equipment is:

•  
  • not used to transmit music, broadcast programmes or obscene or offensive language;
  • not used as a public address system; and
  • not used to send misleading messages.

A lot of handhelds aren’t rated for 100% duty cycle, our iComs look like they are rated for 10% RX, 10% TX and 80% standby. Imagine they would overheat if transmitting constantly.

We have been making some boxes to encode to IP and are playing with using high power WiFi kit and sending the data over wireless point to point, or existing WiFi network if the site already has a managed network with multiple access points and good coverage.

<br />
<br />Why?.<br />
<br /><br />Because your business radio licence says so...
4. Special conditions relating to the activities of the Licensee

The Licensee shall ensure that the Radio Equipment is:<br /><ul class='bbc'><li>not used to transmit music, broadcast programmes or obscene or offensive language;<br /></li><li>not used as a public address system; and<br /></li><li>not used to send misleading messages.</li></ul>

Get an appropriate license and you use the radio under the terms of that license, not some random license you may already have

And as to power, a 4W radio will generally run at say 100mW non stop.

I was working on a co-ordinated site doing exactly what you have described and the AP tried to issue cease documents on me, for no reason other than he saw a Moto HH being used for the job. I persuaded him to allow a performance to finish before he put the test gear on it.

Tail and legs springs to mind.

Get an appropriate license and you use the radio under the terms of that license, not some random license you may already have

Absolutely the right way to do it. But you'll normally not get a licence that allows you to use normal business radio frequencies so a retune of the radio will be required.

Absolutely the right way to do it. But you'll normally not get a licence that allows you to use normal business radio frequencies so a retune of the radio will be required.

Correct, but it's amazing what the authorities can be persuaded to license if one comes up with the right request and money.

The average proper HH UHF radio is easily programmable between say 420-470MHz. I currently hold 6 licenses for services within that range, including PMSE and radios get reprogramed if required.

Archived