should we buy 8 yr old colorspot 700e at movers

jason5d

Hi

we are a local trust owned concert venue, so money is short.

We've been offered 8 colorspot 700E AT for £2500 they are fully

working, just been serviced and have new lamps.

They are perfect for the job, bright and change colour smoothly.

There's no way we can afford the new equivalent.

What sort of on-going issues and/or costs should we be expecting?

I used to own some 700E AT's and they were ok. Main problem was sensors stopping working on the effects wheels, they were quite sensitive to having the correct spacing. They would randomly power up quite often with errors on one or more wheels.

I would be wanting to check inside them for how much smoke fluid contamination there is, also check for wiring damage on the loom that passes through the yoke arms.

I would say they are very big and heavy for the light output you get - they are almost as big as the 1200AT but obviously a lot less bright. Also the standard glass gobos are not very useful, they are just a load of very similar breakups - the 1200AT had much better gobos.

Ive got 10 of these myself and I really like them. I do agree with Tim about the sensors, two of mine are currently having location issue which I believe is down to sensors and yes they are quite heavy but they do the job that I need them to do. Guess it would depend how well maintained they have been and how hard a life they have had.

If you are charitable venue with free labour then the work needed to keep these in order may well be acceptable. However there will come a time when the manufacturer no longer has all the spars that you might need, this may well result in you owning a couple of donor machines to keep the rest functioning.

Archived