phone audio to mixer

IA76

If you need to have two way communications with the caller, then you'll need something like this;

https://www.vtx.co.uk/product.aspx?id=229

don't forget to feed the outgoing line to the caller with a feed which does not include themselves (known as a 'clean feed' or 'mix minus'). This can be derived from a post fade aux. send on your desk.

If you really only need to record the incoming side the mobile and the phone has some sort of headphone jack, then I'd probably set to and butcher a cheap pair of headphones and connect one of the earpiece leads, via a cheap transformer (one of the low cost 'hum stopper' jobbies will do) to a lead with an XLR cable on. It'll will probably arrive at the mixer at a healthy level; nearer line level than mic level.

We need to take the audio from a mobile phone and feed it in to an xlr input on our mixer.

With a conventional wired phone, a Telephone Balance Unit (TBU) or Line Hybrid would be the right tool.

A “bodge” for a mobile would be to take the headphone output and plumb it into a couple of channels on the mixer, in much the same way you would do an audio feed from the phone. An iPhone (etc) should (in theory) be clever enough to know that you’ve plugged a 3.5mm TRS headphone jack in (rather than a 4 pole one with mic), route the received audio to there, and keep using the inbuilt mic. That would give you one side of the conversation, to get the other you would use a separate mic.

Just use a 3.5mm to xlr cable from any of the usual suspects. I wouldn't even begin to guess the number of times my (or a colleagues) phone has been plugged into a desk during a rig playing music when someone's rung up and their voice has come out of the PA system when I've picked up.

Biggest issue these days seems to be finding a phone with a 3.5mm socket!

Just use a 3.5mm to xlr cable from any of the usual suspects. I wouldn't even begin to guess the number of times my (or a colleagues) phone has been plugged into a desk during a rig playing music when someone's rung up and their voice has come out of the PA system when I've picked up.

Biggest issue these days seems to be finding a phone with a 3.5mm socket!

All Samsungs

Does it have to be XLR? 3.5mm to 1/4" jack is much safer (with or without a transformer, as discussed at length in previous threads), as the phone audio will be line-level, so no risk of over-loading your mic pre-amp or destroying your phone by hitting it with 48V phantom power :(.

Archived