Showmaster 48 kill mode

bagel

I recently borrowed a Showtec Showmaster 48 (mk1). However, I was surprised to find that the Kill mode only worked when I clicked on one of the flash keys 1-24; it did not work (i.e. the scene remained as Additive) if I clicked on one of the flash keys 25-48. In other words, the kill mode worked for channel flash but not for memory/scene flash.

To help explain the issue: imagine I have a scene programmed into flash key 25 and another scene programmed into flash key 26. I currently have fader 25 on maximum. I then want to flash scene 26, killing scene 25 at the same time. With the Showmaster mk1 this doesn't work - the scene on 25 remains lit even though the "Add/Kill" mode is set to Kill.

Note that the kill mode does work for channel flash. E.g. in the example above, if I had pressed any of the flash keys 1-24, then scene 24 would have correctly been extinguished for the duration of the flash key being pressed.

My question is this: does anybody know if this has been fixed in the Showmaster 48 mk2? I've tried to find out from the manufacturer, who said it does work like this in the mk2, but I'm not convinced that all the person I contacted has done is to just read the manual. Can anybody who owns the Showmaster mk2 confirm that this functionality definitely works? The reason I want to know is that this is crucial to the way we want to use the console, so I would like to know before we commit to buying one.

Thanks

Ps. Does anybody know what the differences are between the mk1 and mk2? Again, the manufacturer is unable to tell me, other than the fact that the mk1 has been discontinued!

Ps. Does anybody know what the differences are between the mk1 and mk2? Again, the manufacturer is unable to tell me, other than the fact that the mk1 has been discontinued!

Hi,

I originally queried the differences between the Mk1 and Mk2 with Showtec when the Mk2 was first released (early 2016), below is a short transcript of our emails:

Me: "I've seen the Showmaster 48 Mk 2 on your website, but I was wondering what the technical differences are with the mark 2 over the original desk?"

Showtec: "Pretty much identical, different colour and improved build quality."

Me: "By build quality to do you mean the electronics or the physical enclosure?"

Showtec: "The electronics/software/build quality in general should be more reliable and rugged."

I think key word here is should...

I purchased one for my local village hall, but they only use it as a two scene preset desk, so unfortunately I am unable to help further.

If I am down at the hall anytime soon, I'll see if I can have a go and repeat your issue.

Cheers,

Alex

Thanks for the reply.

I suspect that moving from mk1 to mk2 was a cost-cutting exercise, which is why I have no confidence in Highlite's (the manufacturer) response. For example, the unit I borrowed had an IEC power input (in addition to the DC input). Also, it had an extra button in the top right hand corner for channel 49 flash. Both these features aren't present in the mk2 - and these are just the changes I've noticed! This is why I'm dubious that they've made any improvements to the firmware. I find it bizarre that they can't themselves properly explain the difference!

Thank you for the offer of trying out your unit - that would be useful, next time you're there. However, there's no rush - it's another year to our next production now :-)

Thanks for the reply.

I suspect that moving from mk1 to mk2 was a cost-cutting exercise, which is why I have no confidence in Highlite's (the manufacturer) response. For example, the unit I borrowed had an IEC power input (in addition to the DC input). Also, it had an extra button in the top right hand corner for channel 49 flash. Both these features aren't present in the mk2 - and these are just the changes I've noticed! This is why I'm dubious that they've made any improvements to the firmware. I find it bizarre that they can't themselves properly explain the difference!

I suspect they will not be the manufacturer, they are just selling a product that someone else has designed and another company has assembled. There is a reason that there are so many of these similar looking controllers out there.

I suspect they will not be the manufacturer, they are just selling a product that someone else has designed and another company has assembled. There is a reason that there are so many of these similar looking controllers out there.

I expect you're right - that would explain why they can't answer any questions about it. I guess it's made in China, so probably nigh on impossible to contact the designer or manufacturer for more information.

Showmaster 48 Mk1 is 50356 - there is an IEC input on the back for a smoke machine remote control using an internal relay. The smoke button on the right hand side of the control surface is item number 34) Smoke Machine Button, which might be your CH 49 flash. The relay shorts out two of the IEC contacts so make sure it is clearly marked smoke machine only.

Showmaster 48 MkII V1 is 50831

The Showmaster series of desks use an external plugpack for power supply.

Cannot answer your flash question as I don't have a desk here.

Showmaster 48 Mk1 is 50356 - there is an IEC input on the back for a smoke machine remote control using an internal relay. The smoke button on the right hand side of the control surface is item number 34) Smoke Machine Button, which might be your CH 49 flash. The relay shorts out two of the IEC contacts so make sure it is clearly marked smoke machine only.

Thanks - I had assumed that the IEC socket was an alternative power input, but that explains why those two features are either both present (mk1) or both not present (mk2), because they work together.

What gender is the iec connector, out of interest?

Female.

I was wondering that too. So presumably by 'female' you mean it is an outlet style connector rather than an input style. In which case it is safe but the other way around would be downright dangerous!

The Showmaster 48 Mk1 V4 has a Male IEC connector on the rear panel, ...

Sorry - I seem to have inadvertently generated a discussion about the gender of the IEC connector. The IEC gender is not what I would have naturally expected, and so when I said "Female" in my previous post, I should have actually said "Male", as you've discovered.

Archived