Wall Mounted Dimmer Pack (Hard Wired) Analogue & DMX

erik10_4

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a DMX wall mounted, hard wired 'Dimmer' pack that will take input from a DMX console and provide control of x number of generics (I.e standard dimmer channels) and DMX control output on subsequent channels for DMX fixtures? I found it hard to word this to give a good idea of what is required, so please shout up if clarification. Basically, I want to control at least 4 generic Fresnels and a couple of DMX LED fixtures from a single DMX console but the control/dimmer unit must be hard wired and wall mounted. It would be situated in a hall accessed by children & senior citizens so it must be electrically safe to curious minds.

There are many such things - pretty much all installation dimmers work like this. For example, the Zero88 Chilli range (which are very, very common in the UK), ETC ColourSource and Sensor, the various Anytronics Contractor/'unbranded' ones, ADB Twin-Tech and Eurorack, etc. etc. - all of them take a DMX input signal and output a number of dimmed power channels. The DMX signal can be daisy chained through to other fixtures or dimmers.

Standard warning: installing something like this properly will involve a fair amount of mains electrics knowledge to get right so please consult a professional if you're unsure. Other standard warning: this will be outside the range of a standard domestic installer and even a good industrial electrician may struggle if they haven't done any theatrical/venue install before, because they won't have heard of DMX and so on. Unfortunately good theatrical install people cost money!

There are many such things - pretty much all installation dimmers work like this. For example, the Zero88 Chilli range (which are very, very common in the UK), ETC ColourSource and Sensor, the various Anytronics Contractor/'unbranded' ones, ADB Twin-Tech and Eurorack, etc. etc. - all of them take a DMX input signal and output a number of dimmed power channels. The DMX signal can be daisy chained through to other fixtures or dimmers.

Standard warning: installing something like this properly will involve a fair amount of mains electrics knowledge to get right so please consult a professional if you're unsure. Other standard warning: this will be outside the range of a standard domestic installer and even a good industrial electrician may struggle if they haven't done any theatrical/venue install before, because they won't have heard of DMX and so on. Unfortunately good theatrical install people cost money!

Thanks, Yes we will be looking for an install by a theatrical/venue professional (we want a FOH lighting bar installed at the same time). It's just that the one we have consulted so far seems determined to push us down the road of LED only...which we don't want.

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

Something like these anytronics products perhaps?

Thanks, it's interesting. I had already looked at the AnytronicsDP406/806/410 F series spec sheet and the sales document but couldn't fathom whether it met the requirement or not. There was a lot about dimming and switching but not, from what I could see, anything about controlling generic & LED fixtures specifically. Perhaps I'm not good at interpreting spec sheets http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Thanks, it's interesting. I had already looked at the AnytronicsDP406/806/410 F series spec sheet and the sales document but couldn't fathom whether it met the requirement or not. There was a lot about dimming and switching but not, from what I could see, anything about controlling generic & LED fixtures specifically. Perhaps I'm not good at interpreting spec sheets http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

The LED fixtures won't get their power from the dimmer. They connect directly to the mains and have their own DMX connection. The 'dimmer' is effectively inside the LED fixture.

The LED fixtures won't get their power from the dimmer. They connect directly to the mains and have their own DMX connection. The 'dimmer' is effectively inside the LED fixture.

Sorry, I am aware of that; again it's my wording that lets me down. I am used to working with DMX dimmer racks that have 'through' (sometimes spelt 'thru') connection for DMX signals relating to channels following the analogue dimmer channels. It's this 'through' connection facility I was looking for as I want to be able to connect the console to the dimmer unit via just one DMX 3/5 pin cable and let the unit do the rest in terms of assigning the signals to appropriate fixtures (I know I will need mains power connection for LED fixtures also)

They do have through - the data sheet says DMX is on RJ45 connectors or screw terminal on those units. But all "DMX through" connections are just parallel connections to the input, a direct electrical link, there is no magic involved.

Why have you rejected LED fresnels, just out of interest? There's some pretty good ones at reasonable cost now, and a lot less blown lamps to deal with...and no dimmers needed either

Sorry, I am aware of that; again it's my wording that lets me down. I am used to working with DMX dimmer racks that have 'through' (sometimes spelt 'thru') connection for DMX signals relating to channels following the analogue dimmer channels. It's this 'through' connection facility I was looking for as I want to be able to connect the console to the dimmer unit via just one DMX 3/5 pin cable and let the unit do the rest in terms of assigning the signals to appropriate fixtures (I know I will need mains power connection for LED fixtures also)

OK I think I understand what you're concerned about. With a hardwired dimmer the DMX is likely to be hardwired too, meaning that it probably won't appear on a socket on the outside of the dimmer. If you want that then it is a simple matter of running the DMX cable out to a wall box with an XLR connector on it. Perhaps what you are slightly unclear about (and there was a small hint at this in your original post), is that the DMX signal comes out of the dimmer pack completely unaltered from the signal that goes in. The dimmer pack doesn't 'pick off' the channels that are meant for it and then pass the rest of them on down the cable. The signal on every part of the cable contains all of the channels and each fixture simply uses the channel that is for its address. It's a bit like tuning in a radio station - all the stations are there, you just tune to the one you want.

I hope I'm not 1) teaching grandmother to suck eggs or 2) confusing you further!

Cheers

Dave

I've not come across a DMX dimmer that doesn't have both DMX 'in' and 'out' for years. That doesn't mean they don't exist. :unsure: As pointed out, any LED units will have their own DMX in (and usually) out sockets so you just connect device to device to dimmer to device etc.

However, sometimes the lines can get long as the install dimmers are in one place, where the LED's are on the bar. In that case a DMX splitter is useful. Than you take DMX out of the console, into the splitter with two or more DMX lines out. One up to the bar, the other to the dimmers, but its not essential. It can make any changes simpler and reduce expensive cable runs. Just make sure that if you are not certain the last device in each chain is self terminating, that you use a DMX terminator to be sure DMX behaves correctly.

They do have through - the data sheet says DMX is on RJ45 connectors or screw terminal on those units. But all "DMX through" connections are just parallel connections to the input, a direct electrical link, there is no magic involved.

Why aren't you considering LED fresnels? There's some pretty good ones at reasonable cost now, and a lot less blown lamps to deal with...

It is primarily cost. We already have CCT Fresnels with a decent beam angle (18-57) so no purchase of Fresnels would be required. To be honest, in 5+ years of using these generics with this little & humble charity theatre group I have only had to change one lamp! Additionally, apart from the lamp, there is very little to go wrong, whereas, if an LED unit fails, I fear it would be a 'back to base' repair/replacement of the unit leaving us without alternatives. I'm quite happy to have LEDs for colour as loss of one of those would not kill the show.

Oh, and thanks for the first bit, that's helpful.

I guess an alternative it to get a DXM splitter. Send one split to the dimmer, and however many other ways you have left go to the LED stuff. Probably a good idea anyway if you are sending DMX to several bars, as you'll than not need to link each bar to the next one.

OK I think I understand what you're concerned about. With a hardwired dimmer the DMX is likely to be hardwired too, meaning that it probably won't appear on a socket on the outside of the dimmer. If you want that then it is a simple matter of running the DMX cable out to a wall box with an XLR connector on it. Perhaps what you are slightly unclear about (and there was a small hint at this in your original post), is that the DMX signal comes out of the dimmer pack completely unaltered from the signal that goes in. The dimmer pack doesn't 'pick off' the channels that are meant for it and then pass the rest of them on down the cable. The signal on every part of the cable contains all of the channels and each fixture simply uses the channel that is for its address. It's a bit like tuning in a radio station - all the stations are there, you just tune to the one you want.

I hope I'm not 1) teaching grandmother to suck eggs or 2) confusing you further!

Cheers

Dave

No Dave, that's helpful and is neither 1 or 2 http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif I do get it.

Archived