comms to wedges and walkie talkie using same head mic?

S&L

the easiest way to explain this query is to start by describing what we do at present.

small/medium theatres and local festivals

using front of house only (no monitor console) we have been using cheap baofeng uv-5r walkie talkies to communicate between FOH and A2 adjacent to stage. A2 carries walkie talkie loose, FOH (me) has headset with earpiece, boom mic and finger button. so far so good - this works well until musicians start playing when it often means we are shouting at one another and the radio feed gets distorted.

at the same time, I'm talking to the talent using a mic through console to wedge monitors. clarity is fine but now I have a finger button, a mic in hand AND I'm trying to set up mixes etc on console.

what I would like - the same walkie talkie system - or one with a higher threshold before distortion - but the headset mic to split off with an xlr to the console so I can use one mic and have one hand free and the other relatively free while tied to the radio mic - it wouldn't matter is A2 could hear what was being said through wedges via his walkie talkie as well. I'm looking to keep everything budget and a fast system to set up but haven't much experience of stage comms and I suspect when you can afford a monitor engineer in the budget, this isn't an issue. but if someone knows of a reasonable and not costly solution, I'm all ears.

simple y split,without keying the radio you can talk to the wedges without disturbing the A2,with talk to stage open and keying the radio you can talk to both.key the radio but not opening the talk to stage you can chat to the A2 without waking up the band

simple y split,without keying the radio you can talk to the wedges without disturbing the A2,with talk to stage open and keying the radio you can talk to both.key the radio but not opening the talk to stage you can chat to the A2 without waking up the band

have you got a link to a headset with a splitter?...that's where I was stumped.

Thanks to everyone for the input. the information on motorola is particularly useful so I will maybe look out for a few of them in the future.

meantime, I admire some of you in terms of confidence - my soldering skills are ok but I'm not sure I'm up to tracking out the mic/trigger button/earpiece wiring and splicing into it (tiny 6 core I'm assuming) - especially not without a spare headset or diagram.

these are the headsets we have been using:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Radio-Communication/Tactital-Behind-Earpiece-Microphone-Cancelling-Behind-Head-Headset/B017KQD0MG

I would be all for the ebay suggestion if I could find the splitters on ebay! I may be being thick or they may relate to a different pin connector type. If anyone comes across a link, I will be glad of the info, meantime, I'll keep looking.

My experience of that style of socket (on the end of the extension lead) is that they tend to be intermittent and would advocate changing the plug on the headset to a multi-pin such as XLR. Additionally most of the radio's of that ilk seem to short the 2 'earth pins' for PTT which also applies the bias for the microphone so some sort of additional bias arrangement and DC isolation will be needed.

Also look at some higher end radios. I have a selection from Baofengs up to Motorolas, and the Moto's do have much better audio on both transmit and receive.

Chalk and cheese, Our club purchased 6 Baofengs (against my vote) and they have been used only a few times but as soon as we acquired Motorola's they have been used consistantly to the point we now have 48.

Archived