Blood Brother curtain

louis

hi, Im going to be doing a production of Blood Brothers whcih is in the pipeline @ our college I wanted to know how it works with the gauze cutain at the being of Blood Brothers and the way with light ( if is electric cutrain )

Many Thanks

I don't really understand your question? Do you mean how is the gauze flown? The black gauze in Blood Brothers is used as an alternative to traditional House Tabs. Maybe if you re-word your question it will be easier for someone to respond.

Paul

Well, the cloth is a gauze, it is sort of transparant but not (somebody throw me a word!!!) If lit from the front, you are unable to see what is behind, if you light it from behind, but not infront, you can see what is on the other side, and not the cloth itself, this is known as a bleed-through. Depending on the amount of light on wither side, you can create different effects, eg: making people appear/disappear.

When the cloth flies out(goes up), you can see the silhoutte as it does so, (this isn't avoidable) the dark line at the bottom being the conduit in the chain bag the cloth is manually flown, usually on counterweight, it is not too heavy as the way the cloth is made.

If there is not the facility to fly the gauze out, you could track it, but it doesnt look so good, and you'l never get it to hang flat.

Hope this helped.

at a guess I would say they lit from behind and used a haze/fog machine for it to show up, if that doesnt work try giving the chief lx a call at the theatre its on at, I cant remember wat it is tbh(to make the sheet show up)

toby

It completely depends what you are trying to acheive... a friend, and former coleague of mine is touring with the show on electrics, he knows it inside out, I've also done the show a few times. what exactly do you want to do? There's no rockets involved, honestly!

:blink:

It's a gauze.. a translucent (thats the word! :blink:) gauze. The Blood Brothers that I saw used a gauze and then had two lights on it... they were profiles, with cloud type gobo's in. It's all done from the front. A gauze is just a cloth.. a net-type cloth... and they just lit it from the front to achieve it. Trust me.. I'm a.. doctor.. er..

Light on front of gauze = you can see it. (and some of behind it depending on angle)

Light front and back of gauze = you can see through it. (but also see the gauze in some situations)

Light behind the gauze = you can see through it.

To make the gauze look opaque, light from the sides at near to paralell. Try it out, gauze is fun.

ie

>--------<

where > is a light.

If I'm right I think the OP is thinking of where you have the show name on gauze then a fly (correct term?) of black cloth. So when the show opens you see the title then the black fly is removed action starts then the gauze is removed.

so

--------------

---= gauze

__ = black fly

If I'm right I think the OP is thinking of where you have the show name on gauze then a fly (correct term?)

The usual description of this black cloth just upstage of a gauze is either a 'blinder' or 'backing'. It's usually there to allow the use of worklights upstage of the gauze to set up the next scene.

It's worth noting here that it's not whether a gauze is lit from in front, or behind, that's important, but the angle of the light in relation to the gauze. If you're lighting straight into the gauze (to project a show logo, for instance), then this light will pass straight through, and illuminate whatever is behind the gauze. If you light down either the front, or back, face of a gauze then that will help render it opaque.

Simon.

The show is at the Phoenix in London well it was when I saw it. The gauze was not used for the show title, it was used right at the beginning of the acting. The actors stood behind it lit looking straight into the audience not moving (you could see them) while some music played and the narrator spoke I believe to create a surreal (created by the gauze) menacing effect. Then it was flown out as the action began. This may not be 100% correct but it is what I can remember from sitting in the front row of the show in the west end two years ago. My neck certainly hurt after that the stage being about two feet from me and fairly high in relation to my seat!!!

The Blood Brothers in The Phoenix is a different cast and set to the UK tour, the set is of course similar, but the tour and the West End shows run simultaneously.

The UK tour moves from Leeds to Poole this weekend.

It's a gauze.. a translucent (thats the word! :blink:) gauze. The Blood Brothers that I saw used a gauze and then had two lights on it... they were profiles, with cloud type gobo's in. It's all done from the front. A gauze is just a cloth.. a net-type cloth... and they just lit it from the front to achieve it. Trust me.. I'm a.. doctor.. er..

More than two lanterns... at least two gobos in each colour (red(106 I think) and 202) also, they were linear breakups, DHA 501 or similar. The rig has been updated since it came to us last November, but I'm not sure if it has affected the afforementioned effect.

Archived