Blood Brother curtain

louis

Thanks so Much to everyone who has aired their views it has really helped me about the gauze curtain and the way of lighting it

THANKS PLEASE STILL ADD VIEWS ABOUT THE GAUZE CURTAIN IF YOU WISH

I jus wanted to know one more thing at the start of blood brothers the gauze curtain is flown up I imagine by the fly tower but would it be able to use it on a track ?

It wouldn't look as good with a track, due to the fact that when you track it off it will bunch up on the in-view side of the cloth(s) (depending on wheteher your are tracking with a split in the middle or off to one side), thus not such a good effect. If possible to tension at the same time of tracking, could be possible, but is not anywhere near as easy or effective.

(edit:) tracks are / can be noisy too, something to consider?

Posted today by RobertoR in another thread of similar title, possibly by mistake... but bears relevance to this topic and may be of intertest....

Could you use a troff, dont know if it is a technical term, but fly the troff, which collects the gauze as it flies out. Only problem is, the gauze might fall either side of the troff, causing a mess.

Saw it done once before, worked quite well. You do get a big black troff flying in and out though..

:blink:

There is a difference in the set in the west end version, to the tour... the bridge tracks on from either side, rather than flying, amd the band is housed on set, (I think) but other than that remains much the same. Other than that, I beleive the lighting design is different, and due to restrictions of the FOH rigs in some venues on the tour, it will vary. But still, that's what the production lx is for.

The touring lighting design (current version by Nick Richings, with the very early touring version lit by Vince Herbert) is totally different from the original West End lighting design (Jon Swain's design from the late 80's still going strong, but with various equipment upgrades over the years).

I thought as much. My former colleague that is touring wiht the show has just left my flat, his day off between moving from leeds to poole. He is having problems with Mac2000 ballasts atm. not much fun so I'm told, the new replacement ones are alot heavier.

The touring lighting design (current version by Nick Richings, with the very early touring version lit by Vince Herbert) is totally different from the original West End lighting design (Jon Swain's design from the late 80's still going strong, but with various equipment upgrades over the years).

Actually I think it was lit by Joe Atkins before Vince Herbert.

If I'm right I think the OP is thinking of where you have the show name on gauze then a fly (correct term?)

The usual description of this black cloth just upstage of a gauze is either a 'blinder' or 'backing'. It's usually there to allow the use of worklights upstage of the gauze to set up the next scene.

It's worth noting here that it's not whether a gauze is lit from in front, or behind, that's important, but the angle of the light in relation to the gauze. If you're lighting straight into the gauze (to project a show logo, for instance), then this light will pass straight through, and illuminate whatever is behind the gauze. If you light down either the front, or back, face of a gauze then that will help render it opaque.

Simon.

From what I recall there is no blinder used on the BB tour. Basically meaning that noone crosses the stage once the house is open!

It's a great opening to the show - really lovely how the "stars" on the backcloth turn into the lights of the houses over the overture.

Moderation : yet again we have to merge two consecutive posts by the same author into one. If you're replying to two posts in the same topic, use the Mutliquote feature (the "+ Quote" button) and post your replies as one message. If you're coming back to add something to a message that you've posted, and your message is still the most recent one in the thread, use the Edit function to add your afterthoughts to the original - don't make another post directly after your own. I wonder how many more times we're going to have to tell people this? :uni:

From what I recall there is no blinder used on the BB tour. Basically meaning that noone crosses the stage once the house is open!

This is correct, the touring show does not have a blinder, just the black gauze.

The UK tour moves from Leeds to Poole this weekend.

Give me a couple of days and I can give you my take on the effect....

Stu

It's been on since last night.... had chance to see it yet?

Moderation : at least once more, obviously ... :uni: (see above)

Updated, edit, etc

My apologies mr moderator sir, I am yet furthering my post.

On my visit to Poole last night (Wednesday) the show hasn't changed much except a few cast members, and a new LX rig, similar to before, but most overheads now being parcans and movers. The Mac2000's do a nice job in comparison to teh 500's the last time I saw it. In essence, the same effect to start the show, although, I remember the show gauze being flown much slower the many times I have seen the show before.

It's been on since last night.... had chance to see it yet?

Depending on which preset you were looking at, one had the 106 (slips) and O/W (circle front) linear gobos on the guaze and the other had the 106 and 201 (slips). Both being 2 lanterns for each colour (for us Cantata 11/26s and SL 23/50s).

Stu

Archived