Which MP3 player?

SceneMaster

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which MP3 player?

• iPod
    • Creative Zen Touch
    • Sony NW-HD5

iPod all the way! *gazes lovingly at iPod*

(but not a mini one... I don't like iPod minis ¬_¬)

Althought that iRiver PMP thingy looks quite good...

Link please... for the iRiver PMP... also what is the average price for one of these? I would Google but I would probably come up with a load of random shops.

http://www.iriver.com/html/product/prpv_product.asp?pidx=45

:)

The iriver PMP-100 is a new breed of portable media player. It plays your movies, music, photos and more. Plus, integrated FM tuner, voice recorder, ultra-fast USB 2.0 file transfers and simple navigation are just a few of the features you won't find anywhere else.

av price= 350 GBP or so, maybe a bit more or less. lowest I found was 223GBP

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/images/IRIVERpmp120.jpg

Price comparisons

David

Why go for an mp3 player? Get the Sony D-NE1 Lasts about 120hrs on battery (sony rechargables), plays cd's, mp3 cd's and atrack (shudder) cds.

You can get about 300 atrack's on one cd, which isnt as much as a harddrive I'll give ya, but then, you get much longer battery life to boot.

I've had one for 2 years now and its batteries are still good. Just give it a quick looksie, go on you know you want to.

Why go for an mp3 player? Get the Sony D-NE1 Lasts about 120hrs on battery (sony rechargables), plays cd's, mp3 cd's and atrack (shudder) cds.

You can get about 300 atrack's on one cd, which isnt as much as a harddrive I'll give ya, but then, you get much longer battery life to boot.

I've had one for 2 years now and its batteries are still good. Just give it a quick looksie, go on you know you want to.

Umm, MP3 players and HDD MP3 players are much smaller and although they still I presume have moving parts inside them they are less easily damaged by vibrations of jogging, riding bike and mountain walking than a CD player regardless of shock protection I am thinking about the device it’s self here. I would much rather go jogging with a HDD spinning in my pocket (well that’s if I had a pocket while jogging) than a CD player. ;)

Out of interest (very stupid question now) ipods and HDD mp3 players I presume do have moving parts as in a spinning HDD disk don’t they? :uni:

Indeed they do, as the harddisc has to spin up in order to read a new song. Both the CD unit I suggested and the harddrive have moving parts. With the cd unit, the only thing that you can damage (belive me, I have tried) is the data tape connecting the processors and laser control, for some reason it has disconnected on me once and only once and that is the extent of the damage I have managed to cause while mountain biking with it (had it in the bottom of a small backpack that was also carrying spare clothes a toolkit and food) The disc has never yet jogged on me while using data cd's as it spins, stores and plays from memory. Regular audio discs can jog, but it is hard I shook it vigorously through a one minute track and did not make it skip ;)

I have seen a friend damage the harddisc while jogging but I am not sure how he managed it. Punched a hole clean through the disc platter with the read head. Customer care assured him that it couldnt happen. :uni: (though they did replace it)

As I measure it.

CD player D-NE1

Weight: 256 grams. Includes cd but not headphones or cable remote.

Size: approx 1cm wider diameter than a cd. approx 1cm thick.

Irritating bits: Beeps (loudly) when you force a change track. Can only be charged by using the supplied charging stand. Not easy to jog with if its in a pocket as it is a tad too heavy (stick it in a rucksac, no problem for me as I only run for mountain marathons like the Capricorn) Cannot add tracks to it without burning a new cd.

Handy bits: Has an external battery cannister that holds 2*AA. Can run for god only knows how long on these as well as the internals. More than 200hours certainly, but I got bored and stopped counting. Did me well for Duke Of Ed. Gold award expedition. Can arrange tracks into folders (1 deep works best).

Cost: ~£130

Other options are the iPod Shuffle (I love this) or a minidisc mplayer as they are lighter and more convenient for jogging. Harddrive units are about the same weight as CD player.

Other options are the iPod Shuffle (I love this) or a minidisc mplayer as they are lighter and more convenient for jogging. Harddrive units are about the same weight as CD player.

The shuffle is kinda expensive relative to it's storage capacity and you have the annoyance of it taking a computer and a fair bit of time to change the tracks on it. Also, there are loads of similar speced players available for less cash...

Minidisc is ok, but you have the added expense of buying discs. There's also a fair amount of stuff that can go wrong with them - I was on my 4th in 5 years when I bought my iriver.

My iriver arrived today, incidentally. It's great so far; no drivers or fuss, just plug it in and treat it like an external hard drive. I had more trouble with the USB 2 card I bought to use with it. You can use winamp on the pc to make playlists for it, and my pc will happily play songs straight off the iriver's hdd - which means the one at work will, too. I'll be able to use it to transfer other files back and forth, too; images and website files and such. Sound quality is excellent, and it has a graphic eq that you can actually adjust manually; not just crappy presets.

um... approx. 203 grams, apparently. it's quite a lot thicker than an ipod, but about the same height and width. I've tried the recording facility from the line in a couple of times, and it's excellent. I've not tried the mic yet, but I don't think it'll be all that useful anyway - it's more aimed at the dictaphone market.

Archived