Which MP3 player?

SceneMaster

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which MP3 player?

• iPod
    • Creative Zen Touch
    • Sony NW-HD5

Ok,

I am restarting a poll which was lost last night. Basically I am wondering whether to buy a 20gb iPod or a 20gb Creative Zen Touch, and now taking the opportunity to add the 20gb Sony NW-HD5 into the equation as well.

Which to people prefer/like and reasons? On a side note what do people think of the iPod mini or the Zen Micro I know they are smaller players and cheaper with less capacity but this probably wouldn’t be a problem for me.

Any thoughts?

Still the iPod for me. The interface is the killer here - the iPod thrashes the others (particularly the Sony) for both on-player interface and the computer software to go with it. Plus, you get to use the iTunes music store.

Don't worry 'bout the battery lifespan, the problem is negligible on the newer models.

The Mini is also good if you can live with 6GB capacity (I can't...my library is 36GB and counting....time for a new 60GB 'pod soon, methinks.) Just don't buy pink.

I like the iPod interfance, I have got a 20GB 1st Gen one (the ones with supposed battery problems) but its still going strong after two years and lets face it, it looks damn sexy!!

There is a new version (generation) of the iPod Mini that came out about 6 weeks ago that has improved battery life however beware it does not come with a charger any more, you have to spen £20 to get one! All iPos accessories are stupidly overpriced though including a USB cable if yours only comes with a firewire cable and the case!

Sam

I don't have any of the above players, however a mate swears by his Zen Micro, but then he does think that all of the kit he has is better than anything else, even when it blatantly isn't.

I'd reccomend the Creative Zen Touch - it's cheap, functional, good battery life from what I've heard.

I wouldn't reccommend the Sony, my experience of their kit is that it isn't all it's cracked up to be and, equally important, the Sonic Stage software which they'll make you use is awful - slow to load, slow to use and crashes a lot.

Hope this helps

Chris

Not on the list but I have iRiver 40GB so far I have 600 CD's at full cd quality and have used about half of the memory. It will play back music in several formats and can be used as an external storage device, can be used as a memo recorder and will also record from a stereo source such as desk outs etc.

Ian

Not on the list but I have iRiver 40GB so far I have 600 CD's at full cd quality and have used about half of the memory. It will play back music in several formats and can be used as an external storage device, can be used as a memo recorder and will also record from a stereo source such as desk outs etc.

Ian

How much does it cost, it is probably isn’t in the same price range as the players in this poll.

Does anyone know if you can use the Zen with itunes or at least the music you buy on itunes? I know you can drag and drop you music without having to use media source well that is what I have heard but using it with itunes would be cool although I doubt this. :(

Does anyone know if you can use the Zen with itunes or at least the music you buy on itunes? I know you can drag and drop you music without having to use media source well that is what I have heard but using it with itunes would be cool although I doubt this.  :(

Erm you're asking whether an Apple piece of software designed for use with an Apple piece of hardware that uses Apple's own proprietry music format will work with another manufacturer's piece of equipment? :unsure:

No, it won't it's a case of Never the Twain Creative MP3's use Windows WMA format but Music bought from the iTunes music store is in Apple's AAC format which will only work on an iPod.

The creative Zen machines aren't bad but the one Zen USB 2.0 I had before was about double the size of the current iPod with a screen so small you needed an electron microscope to read it. I also found that Windows *spits* media player had a tendency to rearrange the albums I was copying into alphabetical order rather than true playing order when used to transfer to the Mp3 Player. The Creative software isn't too bad but for sheer usability and all round lovelyness you still cannot beat an iPod

Edited to be *slightly* less sarky than before (srry)

I use the Iriver H320 its the 20Gb version of the Player London Sound Has. It has a colour screen built in Mic, mic in optical in line in. It requires no software on Windows Me and above. Mac (something and Above) and most Linux distros. It appears purely as a USB mass storage device. You can load movies on to it. and best of all it plays ogg vorbis files. Most of all no Bl :( :unsure: dy iTunes.

I've just bought an iriver h340 - the 40 gig version. It hasn't arrived yet, but the specs are good.

It has a line in to record with and does direct mp3 encoding which kicks the #### out of the competition, I reckon, especically for noiseboys who want to record off the desk. The ipod doesn't have any sort of onboard recording facility I know of, and the accessories that let you do it only have mics as far as I know.

It costs about the same as an ipod, and has the same features except that obviously it doesn't sync with itunes.

I wouldn't touch anything by Sony, I have a Sony MD player and using sonicstage is incredibly tedious and painful. The interface is awful, slow, and dogged with rights management rubbish. The Iriver lets you drag'n'drop, and itunes is a great bit of software. ipods are good, but I'd seriously consider the iriver. I'll post again once it arrives and I get to play with it :(

Archived