Illusions for Ghost the musical

Kerry

Hi has anyone got any tips for the effects and illusions necessary for this musical ? Have you done it as an amateur production ? obviously on a much tighter budget than pro show.... I have some ideas and I know a lot of it is about distraction, but it’s tough on a small stage, we don’t want the production to look cheap and naff

This old topic is worth a read.

2014 link

Considering how strict the illusion owners were back then, I have no idea how they will cope with people giving the secrets away. Worth noting the new amateur version has a simplified band requirement - 15 I think down to 9 with new arrangements and even suggested synth patches.

Don't copy the original show illusions because a) that opens a big legal copyright can of worms & b) they were done on a budget that's a million times greater than yours by a whole team of people with (literally) decades experience creating these effects.

Find your own illusions and effect methodologies to portray the sequences in the show that can be realistically built and operated by your staff. One really really big tip - less is more; you'd be amazed how many effects in that show people "think" are created with holograms and lasers and nasa technology and hydraulics but which are actually just a man with a stick or a bit of thread and some sticky tape.

If you actually have the licence and script and any notes officially attached to these, do they tell you what or how you must achieve in terms of effects. Does the paperwork give you instructions, directions or suggestions for the effects that the rights owners expect you to use.

Archived